You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-18 13:34:21

Leye

(SOLVED) GDM input in English, should be German

Hi,

this is a minor problem that I've experienced since my last reinstallation with the archboot-CD (2008.12). GDM came along with the gnome and gnome-extra packages that I used to install GNOME. Although I'm using the German keyboard input in GNOME (works fine), and xorg.conf and rc.conf are edited in the same way ("Xkblayout" "de" in xorg.conf, "de_DE.utf8" in rc.conf), the input in GDM is English! The language in GDM however, is German, too. Once I had the same problem when the new hotplugging feature of X was turned on, but I disabled it by now. To sum up, the language and the keyboard input in GNOME and the CLI is German, but the input in GDM is in English.

I wonder what has caused this little bug, since I'm not sure whether I've done anything different from my last installation. I hope you might give me a hint to get the input wo work as expected.

Last edited by Leye (2009-03-06 15:50:08)

#2 2009-02-19 07:53:35

beza1e1
Website

Re: (SOLVED) GDM input in English, should be German

I've got the same problem since the last update.

What didn't work: Editing /etc/gdm/locale.alias which includes a note:

NOTE! This is a broken way to do things. Gdm currently reads languages ONLY from this file. This is Broken(tm). This setup will be replaced in some future version to be replaced by some automatic detection of available locales.

Maybe this automatic detection is now active and goes wrong?

#3 2009-02-19 08:37:23

signor_rossi

beza1e1 wrote:

Maybe this automatic detection is now active and goes wrong?

To me it seemed so, after an upgrade suddenly input hotplugging was active (despite AutoAddDevices=False in my xorg.conf) and my keyboard settings were ignored. Since it also meant that input hotplugging didn't crash my X server anymore (which was the reason I had deactivated input hotplugging before) I followed the wiki on how to setup a German keyboard.

Look here on how to set your desired keyboard locale:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

SignorRossi.

#4 2009-02-19 11:51:34

koch

@leye: greetings from another user from HD. i think we are the only 2. nice to have someone around here.

#5 2009-03-04 13:39:06

Leye

Hi,

sorry that I haven't posted earlier, I was quite busy doing other things. However, thanks for your advice, I'll try whether your workaround works for me.

@ koch:
Hehe nice to meet you! big_smile
Good to know that there are other users within range. Heidelberg's beautiful. smile

#6 2009-03-05 05:19:51

Moo-Crumpus

This happened to me, too. GDM is english, gnome is german. I have set the keyboard style with hal. Any solutons?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2009-03-05 07:42:59

Murray_B

#8 2009-03-05 10:33:21

Leye

Hi,

signor_rossi's works for me , thanks for that!

I wonder if anyone has an idea about another annoying yet minor bug: Everytime X (or GDM respectively) starts, the screen becomes dark to an unreadable extent. I always have to use the keys on my notebook to brighten it. I've also noticed that this also happens during the boot when udev starts, though the screen doesn't become as dark as it does when X starts.

Never mind, I'm happy that the keyboard bug is solved, thank you. smile

#9 2009-03-06 06:44:27

onu2

ive the same problem.
system wide language is english but keyboard layout is turkish.There is no problem with X or console.But on gdm keyboard layout is english.
The strange thing is on gdm keyboard layout is sometimes tr, sometimes en smile

#10 2009-03-06 15:49:47

Leye

Yeah, I've noticed the same that sometimes my input was English, other times it was German. Do you plan to use Turkish input in GDM? Look at the Wiki-pages signor_rossi mentioned, they helped me. smile

#11 2009-03-06 16:06:45

Moo-Crumpus

What exactly DID you do. I followed the wiki's advice on 2 machines. One is OK, the other isn't.#

Sei doch bitte so freundlich, und lasse uns nicht dumm sterben. Natürlichhabe ich die Konfiguration in /etc/hal/... gesetzt. X ist Deutsch, das ist garnicht das Problem. GDM ist es nicht.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#12 2009-03-07 12:52:41

Leye

Hi,

I wasn't aware that some users have problems with the instruction in the Wiki. I, for one, managed GDM's input by editing the HAL-policies as instructed in the Wiki. Here's exactly what I did:

Copy /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/. Open the file. It's an XML file so there are many markups. However, look for a tag that includes "input.xkb.layout", the keyword "us" is in the same line. Change it to "de". Restart your machine or the HAL-daemon.

Yeah, this is exactly what I did. I'm sorry if this doesn't help you. Perhaps you could tell me what you've already done and we can look for other possibilities.

Ich wusste gar nicht, dass die Anleitung im Wiki bei anderen nicht funktioniert (so wie ich das sehe, hat das auch niemand richtig erwähnt, dass er das im Wki schon versucht hat), deshalb ging ich nicht weiter darauf ein, sorry. Wenn du aber schon /etc/hal/... bearbeitet hast, hast du ja im Prinzip das alles schon gemacht. Vielleicht liegt es noch an den anderen Konfigurations-Dateien -- rc.conf? Oder sogar xorg.conf? Ist zwar unwahrscheinlich, aber du kannst es ja nochmal überprüfen. Schreib wieder hier rein, wenn es noch Probleme bei dir gibt.

EDIT
Jetzt sehe ich deinen Beitrag, den muss ich einfach übersehen haben, tut mir Leid!

Last edited by Leye (2009-03-07 12:53:37)

#13 2009-03-08 18:25:44

jamesbannon

It works OK for me now. Didn't before the update. I suspect the evdev driver was updated.

Board footer