You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-19 08:23:09

DreamAxe

Issues with Arch, xorg and Asus eee 4G 701

Hello, this is my first post here smile

I installed Arch 2009.02 on my Asus eee 701(4G), the installation went well and the system was up and running within minutes. I configured the wireless card (Atheros) which arch supported out-of-the-box and updated the system with pacman -Syu. Then, I installed the intel driver for the vga of the eee and attempted to configure X.

The issues started at this point. "Xorg -configure" appeared to work, but when I did "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" all I could see was the mouse cursor as an X and nothing more. The touchpad didn't respond and nothing worked.

Then, I tried using "xorgcfg" but even though the screen worked great (I could see the stuff displayed), the system couldn't receive any input from the touchpad and thus the result was just a little bit better than with "Xorg -configure". I tried to reboot and use a USB mouse to see if the cursor responded but to no avail...

As a last resort, I decided to use the xorg.conf found on the eee page of the archwiki. I downloaded it in my PC, saved it and used wget to move it from my ftp server to the eee. I moved it to /etc/X11/ as xorg.conf and attempted to run "X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to see if it worked. Unfortunately, no result. xorg attempted to start and then quit with the error "Fatal server error:  no screens found".

That's pretty much it... I have no idea what to do next or why the xorg.conf found in the Arch wiki doesn't work... Any suggestions would be really appreciated...

Last edited by DreamAxe (2009-02-19 08:23:39)

#2 2009-02-19 21:32:15

cjpembo

Re: Issues with Arch, xorg and Asus eee 4G 701

Go back to your original xorg.conf and add the following:

Section "ServerFlags"
           Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

#3 2009-02-20 01:10:01

DreamAxe

Re: Issues with Arch, xorg and Asus eee 4G 701

I did what you suggested above, but it still fails. Then I studied the log and I found this:

Parse error on line 10 of section files in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"RgbPath" is not a valid keyboard in this section

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

EDIT: OK, the discussion page on the Archwiki helped. All I had to do was remove the  'RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"' line and xorg worked flawlessly smile

Last edited by DreamAxe (2009-02-20 05:03:26)

Board footer