You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 04:53:13

yvonney

[SOLVED] Always ran as root-user-Now adding reg-user> xorg crash

SOLVED UPDATE: hahaha, I'm SO used to NOT having a regular user I had to realize that I needed to at least add the 'exec dwm' to my .xinitrc in the home/user  folder for X to start ...!!! It's going to be great to understand regular user and all the helpful .bashrc tweaks there are  etc.

[OBJECTIVE / HELP REQUEST: to find out what tweaks are needed/advised when adding regular user. And about any gottchas when adding regular user having NEVER had one on this install]

NOTE: when I format again I'll add a regular user properly at that time. I have now just added a regular user and can't start X.

ERROR on 'startx' IS MOSTLY: Config/Hal:  NewInputDeviceRequest : failed
I don't use a login manager.

-----------

Hi.. Everythings been so cool going for having a tiling WM and getting there.

Thing is I'm getting into command line apps now and obviously a BIG hole in my skills is that I've ALWAYS run as root.   So now that there's not much gnome left I created a regular user, logged out and when I tried to login again xorg wouldn't start. 

Now I'll try this on my full machine as this is an old laptop, though I'd like to know if this is an obvious fix or a weird one.

I logged back in as root.... added the reg-user to a whole bunch of Groups.... still no go...

IS this one obvious to anyone out there...

PLUS.... love to know if, as I think may be the case because I run a wnidows manager not much will change. OR, are there things to be aware of when I add a reg-user after running as root since the beginning of this install.

I guess as I don't have to bunch of user specific applet like gnome does nor a visible desktop it should be an easier thing going between root and the reg-user ????? any gottchas??

I think Desktop Environments are cool though not for my love of minimalism and dis-interest in 'nice' GUIs.
Though to mention that.

So...... really would like to know if there's anything simple that's causing the xorg crash for the regular user login attempts.

thanks!!!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-02-20 16:17:22)

Board footer