You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 15:12:18

Greenland

Poor quality videos & tvout trouble

I would have never noticed, but when I compared the image quality between Windows Media Player and MPlayer/VLC/Totem, Windows Media Player clearly had the best picture. Is that just something I have to live with, or am I missing some crucial settings that would improve things in Linux? It would seem display drivers don't affect too much, as I tested with the open source ati driver, radeonhd and catalyst, and there was no noticeable change. When I changed the video driver in MPlayer from my normal x11 to xv (which I only managed with the catalyst, which raises other problems) the image maybe looked a tad better, but the colors became dull. Gl and gl2 drivers make the video run really slow when expanding the player window.

And my other problem is with outputting the screen to my fancy new LCD tv. With the catalyst I had some success, but also had trouble with resolutions and such. But with the ati drivers when I ran

xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto

and everything went much better. Now it even transferred the sound to the tv through a separate 3.5mm-2xrca cable, which I was unable to do any other way, not even in Windows. By reading some forums I didn't even think that was possible, because I'm using an HDMI cable with an HDMI-DVI adapter on the video card, and DVI can't transfer audio but the tv still expects it through HDMI. But now my desktop in the tv looks like this http://jama.wippiespace.com/shot1.jpg so my 1440x900 monitor resolution is a small box, and the 1920x1080 hd resolution is like an extension to it. But if I resize a window beyond the 1440x900 and then I maximize it, the result is like this http://jama.wippiespace.com/shot2.jpg I could probably live with this, but it would be nice if someone with some experience on the matter could tell me how to get the desktop to fill all of the 1920x1080 area.

#2 2009-07-11 19:14:57

magistrat

Re: Poor quality videos & tvout trouble

Greetings!

I was wondering about the same thing, ever since i started using Arch-LInux. I switched from my long-years use of Gentoo Linux and was sort of "comparing" how i could bend Arch linux to my will and needs. Most distros i tried failed big_smile But Arch performed quite well and i really do consider staying with it. BUT there is one last thing which really annoys me, and that is the Video Playback Quality. When playing Videos (even DVDs) you can see how areas of the same colour melt into larger areas and blocks, and this is really ugly.. as if there is some hidden "play the video fast and don't care about looks" option. I'm running Arch on my Desktop PC as well as my Notebook and both have the same problem. So i wondered if i am the only one? Since this is so severe IMHO that there had to be a major scream in the forums big_smile

Anyone had any experiences with this kind of problem and maybe (hopefully) a solution?

#3 2009-07-12 07:39:52

djszapi
Website

We can't take difference between windows/linux, we use only linux tongue

#4 2009-07-12 17:42:51

magistrat

Try comparing different linux distros then big_smile

Board footer