You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 17:08:10

meanerelk

Blank monitor after shutting down Arch

I'm dual booting Arch and Windows XP using grub. I know it's set up correctly because I can boot into either one.

The problem is if I shut down from Arch. I halt the system using:

sudo halt

Everything shuts down as normal, but then I cannot start the computer again because the screen stays completely blank. The monitor gets no signal. I can hear the hard drive working, so I think the boot process is still working correctly, but it's impossible to tell.

Usually the monitor will randomly start working again if I hard reboot a few times, but now I just did it like 20 times in a row and still no signal.

I'm almost positive this is due to booting into Arch, because this computer runs XP 90% of the time, and it never has problems shutting down and booting up. If I boot into Arch once, this happens.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, because I have no idea what could be causing this.

#2 2009-02-20 17:57:40

hollywoodb

Re: Blank monitor after shutting down Arch

I had this problem with a display that wouldn't wake up from a suspend/hibernate state.  I couldn't bring it back with vbetool or xset.  I'd have to reboot continuously until the display decided it felt like waking up again.

A couple things I would try:
1) try `shutdown -h now` instead of `halt`, although I'd be surprised if there were any difference
2) try adding "acpi=off" to the Arch kernel line in grub.
3) Try turning the display off before shutting down Arch and perhaps it won't receive any calls that cause it to go blank.

#3 2009-02-20 18:28:46

meanerelk

hollywoodb,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try all of those suggestions, if only I could get the #$@#$ thing to work.

I've noticed that if I unplug the VGA cable and plug it back in before booting, I at least see the POST, but then it goes blank again right afterwards. Subsequent boots remain completely blank --- not even a POST --- unless I repeat the process of unplugging and replugging.

Seems like pretty strange behaviour. Does it mean anything to you?

#4 2009-02-22 16:31:16

meanerelk

Well I switched monitors with another computer, and the new one worked. Also, the old one still refuses to turn on. I think maybe it's a hardware issue.

Board footer