You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-23 23:04:41

BC

Screenlets not showing Google Gadgets

Has anyone been able to get Google Gadgets (web gadgets, that is) to work with Screenlets?  Every gadget I try fails to start, even though it seems to have been converted correctly.  I get this error in the gadget's log every time:

First workarround didnt work let run a second manual workarround
No workarround will be applied to your sistem , this screenlet will probably not work properly

Screenlets complained about not having gtkmozembed, so I installled gnome-python-extras.  Could it be that I'm missing another unlisted dependency?

#2 2009-04-15 18:05:39

5arge

Re: Screenlets not showing Google Gadgets

I haven't been able to get them to display either, and I get the same information in the logs as BC.  Trying to run them from the terminal yeilds the following:

bash-3.2$ python -u /home/sarge/.screenlets/GoogleMaps/GoogleMapsScreenlet.py 
First workarround didnt work let run a second manual workarround
No workarround will be applied to your sistem , this screenlet will probably not work properly
bash-3.2$ First workarround didnt work let run a second manual workarround
CachingBackend: Loading instances from cache
Found a running session of GoogleMaps, adding new instance by service.
Error in screenlets.services.get_service_by_name: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.screenlets.GoogleMaps was not provided by any .service files
Screenlet has already been added to /tmp/screenlets/screenlets.sarge.running
Loading instances in: /home/sarge/.config/Screenlets/GoogleMaps/default/
No instance(s) found in session-path, creating new one.
/home/sarge/.config/Screenlets/GoogleMaps/default/GoogleMaps1
LOAD NEW THEME: default
FOUND: /home/sarge/.screenlets/GoogleMaps/themes/default

The line reporting an error (Error in screenlets.services....) doesn't appear to be the problem; ClearCalendar, which DOES appear on the desktop and appears to work perfectly, also produces this error.  Notice that the prompt is not returned, indicating the the gadget is running (screenlet manager also shows that the screenlet is running), however, the gadget is not displayed on the desktop or in the Compiz widget layer.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 2009-04-18 20:27:12

BC

Re: Screenlets not showing Google Gadgets

Before I gave up on this problem I poked around the source code to look up what those workarounds were all about.  They were distro-specific things, mostly setting some environment varibles and some other stuff (can't tell exactly as I don't have screenlets installed anymore).  I tried using some of those workarounds but the best I got was a blank white window to appear.

It's not much, but maybe you can have better luck at it than I.

Board footer