You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 12:25:31

farner

Only one sound at a time work

Hi
Installed arch linux a couple of days ago and got most stuff up and running. Altho one problem I just noticed it that I can only play one sound at a time. For example, if I have music playing from mpd I don't get any sound from youtube or from urban terror only the sound from mpd will be played. I've googled some, but don't really know what to search for smile

If you do have a explanation please keep the reply simple as I am still learning smile
Thanks in advance

Last edited by farner (2009-02-24 12:25:54)

#2 2009-02-24 12:29:36

fwojciec

Re: Only one sound at a time work

With recent versions of alsa dmix should be enabled by default, as long as hardware supports it.  Just make sure that you don't specifically define hardware "device" in the audio_output section of mpd config file.  It should look something like this:

audio_output {
        type                    "alsa"
        name                    "intel"
#        device                  "hw:0,0"     # optional
#        format                  "44100:16:2" # optional
}

The optional things should stay commented out.  Otherwise mpd will monopolize the specified hardware device.

#3 2009-02-24 13:01:42

farner

Tried what you said, but when I do that mpd won't play any sound at all. It starts and everything, but when I click on the files in ex. Sonata, nothing plays up.

Altho I don't think the problem lies within mpd. If I start a youtube clip, and then tries to play something more (or start urban terror) I still only get sound from the first youtube clip.

#4 2009-02-24 15:42:48

test1000

this might be obvious but are you using intel? the youtube and urban terror/any mmap based game is normal.see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … nd_at_once. also from the urban terror webpage: "Urban Terror 4.1 can run on Quake 3 Arena or on the free ioUrbanTerror." if you switch to iourbanterror the alsa issue is fixed. or else you have to start any urban terror with et-sdl-sound which only works on i686.

edit: if you check the wiki first for stuff like this you usually get a faster response and you get to use your brain as a bonus to wink

Last edited by test1000 (2009-02-24 15:43:31)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2009-02-24 22:33:33

farner

test1000 wrote:

this might be obvious but are you using intel? the youtube and urban terror/any mmap based game is normal.see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … nd_at_once. also from the urban terror webpage: "Urban Terror 4.1 can run on Quake 3 Arena or on the free ioUrbanTerror." if you switch to iourbanterror the alsa issue is fixed. or else you have to start any urban terror with et-sdl-sound which only works on i686.

edit: if you check the wiki first for stuff like this you usually get a faster response and you get to use your brain as a bonus to wink

I actually googled my a* of and searched the wiki, but was unable to find that site. And I do have intel, however after reading

In Linux, only one program can play a sound at a time unless you have a soundcard that supports hardware mixing (all/most onboard soundchips don't.)

I decided to use my pci card (a creative audigy 2 ZS). I have been having trouble before getting it to work so I thought I would use my onboard card instead. But it was fairly easy this time
(had to disable the onboard card in the bios and change the module to snd-emu10k1) and woops it worked smile

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by farner (2009-02-24 22:33:57)

#6 2009-02-25 04:16:13

test1000

glad to be of help. i took that article up and worked on it sooo long when i first started linux(now, many people might have contributed, i don't know) that it's cool that it helps someone. still have a stupid name though.

Last edited by test1000 (2009-02-25 04:16:51)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#7 2009-03-23 02:20:33

sistematico
Website

Please put [RESOLVED] or [SOLVED] in subject of the topic to maintain the "health" of the forum.
Sorry for bad English, i am from Brazil.
big_smile

Lucas Saliés Brum
blog | medium | vk | twitter | github | .share
Forgive the spelling and grammar, English is not my native language.

#8 2009-03-23 15:59:54

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

test1000 wrote:

whoever that tries to follow that link, make sure you remove the last dot in the url

Board footer