You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 19:26:56

Stalafin

Searching: a good CLi IM -- anything with a file transfer function?

At the moment I am using Pidgin for chatting - I am quite happy with it, but if I had a CLi IM I would be even happier.

So what is out there? I used Mcabber, but since I am off Jabber with transports (because they don't work so awesomely in the long run) this isn't an option anymore. Bitlbee appears nice and fancy, but unfortunately there is no file transfer support. It seems like the devs wanted to integrate one with or after version 1.0, but that was a long time ago and now we are at 1.23 or something.

So is there a nice CLi IM with a good usability (Mcabber I didn't like, because if you had many contacts it was a pain to scroll through all of them, and sometimes you didn't see new messages because the contact was not displayed in the part of the list you were in...).

Sooo, any chance?

#2 2009-02-24 20:17:33

Army

Re: Searching: a good CLi IM -- anything with a file transfer function?

I don't really know, but there's a cli version of pidgin called finch, which you already have installed. It uses the same base as pidgin, so maybe file transfer works with that. And I really like its usability, has a LOT of options, read the man page, it's really helpful

#3 2009-02-24 20:42:59

Ranguvar

First of all, as I always say, Pidgin is unacceptable for a GUI client - try Carrier, aka Funpidgin smile (you can read all about the fork online).

More to your point, there is a bzr branch of Bitlbee with file transfer support. You can find it on their dev site. Personally, I just use IRC for file transfers (or Mediafire, or email...).

There's also CenterIM - I don't know if it does file transfer.

#4 2009-02-24 21:20:35

djnm

Pork is a nice cli IM client.
http://ojnk.sourceforge.net/

br0tat0chip in #archlinux and on freenode

#5 2009-02-25 10:40:59

konni

still using mcabber. the only missing feature for me are file transfers.
i like the scripting you can do like notification popups upon a new message, conky integration...
and it supports OTR.
pork looks really old and seems not to be developed any further and since i never use irc, i haven't yet tried bitlbee.

#6 2009-03-09 22:06:20

Army

@konni: Right now I'm playing a little with mcabber and what you wrote sounds really interesting! Do you have all this implemented (I mean these scripts for notification and conky)? Especially conky sounds very nice in my ears! If so, would you mind sharing, what you've got? I would be very thankful!

#7 2009-03-10 02:30:33

tdy

konni wrote:

i like the scripting you can do like notification popups upon a new message

This is the main thing that keeps me with pidgin.. I can't seem to get reliable notifications via console aim clients.

Board footer