You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-25 05:32:26

beretta

External HDD install for multiple computers

I'd like to try and build an Arch installation on an external hard drive that I could boot from on multiple computers-- ie. something that behaves like a live cd in that it has most everything it would need for common hardware, but would also be a complete system, not just a live installation cd.  How difficult would this be, and where would I look to find what modules and things I should have included?  Is there a way to build it from the live cd itself, using its kernel and hardware detection?

#2 2009-02-25 21:55:42

Mektub

Re: External HDD install for multiple computers

beretta wrote:

I'd like to try and build an Arch installation on an external hard drive that I could boot from on multiple computers-- ie. something that behaves like a live cd in that it has most everything it would need for common hardware, but would also be a complete system, not just a live installation cd.  How difficult would this be, and where would I look to find what modules and things I should have included?  Is there a way to build it from the live cd itself, using its kernel and hardware detection?

I did that and no problems.

Just did a normal install to an external USB disk.

Things are much simplified with the new Xorg because you don't need a xorg.conf.

I tried it in three different computers and was OK.
Only condition is that the computer must be able to boot from a USB disk.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2009-02-25 21:58:55

haxit
Website

Mektub wrote:
beretta wrote:

I did that and no problems.

Just did a normal install to an external USB disk.

Things are much simplified with the new Xorg because you don't need a xorg.conf.

I tried it in three different computers and was OK.
Only condition is that the computer must be able to boot from a USB disk.

Mektub

They should also have somewhat the same features (32bit or 64bit, supported hardware, maybe same gfx card or similar, etc....)

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#4 2009-02-26 09:00:20

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Mektub wrote:

Tell that to the xf86-video-radeonhd driver .... the xf86-video-ati does work without a xorg.conf though.
As far as my experience goes proprietary drivers do need a xorg.conf.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2009-02-26 17:23:45

cerbie

R00KIE wrote:
Mektub wrote:

Tell that to the xf86-video-radeonhd driver .... the xf86-video-ati does work without a xorg.conf though.
As far as my experience goes proprietary drivers do need a xorg.conf.

Or tell that to my PCs, which fail completely, but worked w/ the 1.4 Xorg out of the box. The only way I've been able to get it to work, out of four PCs I've tried (1xSavage IX, 2xGeforce, 1xGMA), was to use a 1.4 xorg.conf, and comment out error lines. Use of the new Xorg would be my main concern with a multi-PC install. I certainly would not set it up with a login manager by default.

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

#6 2009-05-18 18:38:20

__void__

Maybe adding some way of selecting at boot time the hardware profile to use? Like network profiles does. Providing that you know on what machines you'll try to run your installation.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this?

#7 2009-05-19 09:13:35

EVRAMP
Website

__void__ wrote:

Maybe adding some way of selecting at boot time the hardware profile to use? Like network profiles does. Providing that you know on what machines you'll try to run your installation.

Remove autodetect hook from /etc/mkinit.cpio and add every hook you might need -> this will build more generic kernel.
For video card it is no problem to have installed more xf86-video drivers and X.org selects which to use (if hal is running), but if you want to use proprietary drivers you must set them in xorg.conf.

Last edited by EVRAMP (2009-05-19 09:15:40)

#8 2009-05-23 00:57:26

__void__

EVRAMP wrote:
__void__ wrote:

Remove autodetect hook from /etc/mkinit.cpio and add every hook you might need -> this will build more generic kernel.
For video card it is no problem to have installed more xf86-video drivers and X.org selects which to use (if hal is running), but if you want to use proprietary drivers you must set them in xorg.conf.

Thanks, I will try this

Board footer