You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-01 19:37:58

Trevorofmolino

many daemons will not work fter system upgrade

I have arch Duke (old but still worked). I as system failure and had to wipe and reload. so after pacman -Syu i have many problems because daemons will not run. researching lead me to arch kernel. checking pacman -Qo kernel26 I find I have kernel26 2.26.28.7-1 and when I did /sbin/syscrl -a I find os release is 2.6.21. I can find info for custom installing kernels, downgrading. But how do I get the one in pacman to get into the system, or if it did , do i need to change the information somewhere to make the system know it is running the newer kernel?

#2 2009-03-01 19:47:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: many daemons will not work fter system upgrade

You have to reboot after upgrading the kernel.

If this is a fresh reinstall, I'd suggest you do it again, this time with the current install iso.

More generally, if you want to get the best from your Arch system, you should learn a bit more about how Arch works. Here's a tip to start you off: Arch is a rolling release distro, and it therefore works best when it is kept up to date. See the wiki for more related info.

#3 2009-03-01 21:20:51

Trevorofmolino

Re: many daemons will not work fter system upgrade

I realize that arch is a rolling release. But I bought the Duke cd nd have been learning from there. I tried to burn a archlinux 2009.02 core.iso to a cd (with windows), but the cd has the file there but will not boot. So I have to use duke till I can either buy another or learn how to burn a bootable iso.I rebooted and still have the same poblem.
while booting I get
FATAL: could not load /lib/modules/2.6.1-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or directory function
about 8 times
then when the daemons are trying to load I get
updating module dependencies (fail)  /bin/touch : setting of times of /var/run/daemons syslog-ng not implemented
updating module dependencies (fail)  /bin/touch : setting of times of /var/run/daemons network not implemented
updating module dependencies (fail)  /bin/touch : setting of times of /var/run/daemons netfs not implemented
updating module dependencies (fail)  /bin/touch : setting of times of /var/run/daemons crond not implemented
pacman -Qo still has kernel26 2.26.28.7-1
and the /sbin/syscrl -a still has os release is 2.6.21.
this is the fourth time in two weeks that I have wiped and reinstalled arch and still come up with the same problem because the upgrade is so big. But I have no choice at this point and I want to learn how to implement a package that is good and make it work.

Board footer