You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 09:48:06

blackhole
Website

Can't open some pdf files in Firefox using Okular

Hi there,

I have a strange problem (as usual). In general I can open pdf files fine in firefox. That means I click on the download link for the pdf file and choose "Open with Okular (default)" from the download dialog. Okular opens and everything is fine.

However on some occassions or with some pdfs I get the following error message, telling me that "the associated helper application does not exist":
tMWJmNQ

Obviously Okular does exist and when I save the same missbehaving pdf and manually open it in Okular, it's displayed fine.

So what's the problem here? I'm using KDE 4.2.

TIA,
Blackhole

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2009-03-02 22:39:29

greenfuse

Re: Can't open some pdf files in Firefox using Okular

I also had a problem with this. I think it depends on how the pdf file is being provided by the server but I am not sure.

I was able to work around the problem by changing the preferences in firefox for pdf applications to "always ask".

Edit > Preferences > Appliations
enter pdf in the search field
select "always ask"

There is now the small inconvenience of selecting "open with okular" every time I look at a pdf, but it is easier than saving it.

Last edited by greenfuse (2009-03-02 22:41:34)

#3 2009-03-02 22:45:45

blackhole
Website

Re: Can't open some pdf files in Firefox using Okular

Unfortunately it's already set to "always ask", so that doesn't work for me. sad

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

Board footer