You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 03:31:26

kensai
Website

Help me debug Arch64 freeze at login screen

Well, first some specifications, Laptop: HP Pavilion dv7 1264nr, AMD Turion x2 64 rm-72, ATI Radeon HD 3200, 4GB RAM

Here is the problem, using Arch64, I boot up my laptop just fine, most of the time I get to login screen and all works well. But some times, maybe once every 10 boots lets say to put a number when the laptop reaches kdm or slim it freezes just after starting anyone of them. I can't input in keyboard, can't move mouse, can't alt+sys rq+REISUB, can't do anything but hard power off. After booting the next time it can happen again or not happen again for some more or less 10 boots, just to put a number.

What I have tried to no success, changing from catalyst to radeonhd, no help, the problem persist, so is no graphics driver related. Stop using KDM or SLIM and just go through cli login at init 3 and startx from there, didn't helped, I got a freeze at login time as well and could't input anything. So is not login manager related, not even xorg.conf related.

All the logs are not helpful, none of them tells me there has been an error. I have used plain Arch, 32 bit for two or three days and this has not happened once with it, but I can't guarantee because I have not used Arch 32 at most for 3 days. I really can't figure out a way to solve this, or to know what is causing it.

The only thing I have noticed is at the beginning of kernel booting it says soft reset failed due to HW bug. But I highly doubt it has anything to do, I'm just being verbose here. Please, can someone enlighten me?

-Thanks

Eduardo "kensai" Romero

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#2 2009-03-03 17:17:59

TheBodziO
Website

Re: Help me debug Arch64 freeze at login screen

Are you booting or resuming? If it is "resuming" then it could be suspending issue. But since you specifically said "booting" then I'd say: hardware problem (given the irregularity of hangs). I'd check disk, memory and temps in the first place.

However I also think that running 32 bit for a couple of days could also give some clue.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#3 2009-03-03 18:18:04

kensai
Website

well, is strange, I used gnome on 64bit for at least 3 days and non of this happened, the only thing that has been different was that with gnome I didn't installed madwifi, and with kde I always do, I don't know why cause I don't need it. I just removed madwifi to experiment, and I'm just trying to reproduce the problem rebooting every so often, but all is fine now. Let's see if it keeps that way.

This never happened using the preinstalled vista OS on this laptop, can't check anymore cause I removed it a long time ago.

Thanks
Eduardo "kensai" Romero

#4 2009-03-03 19:13:10

TheBodziO
Website

Nice to hear that you have a suspect here. Well, I guess drivers stability will be our nightmare as long as current kernel architecture will remain in use. Anyway, I wish you wholeheartedly to find out what's wrong quickly and to be able to fix it!

#5 2009-03-04 19:22:04

kensai
Website

Well, it seems like madwifi was the one causing my laptop to freeze at login prompt. Everything has been alright for a little more than a day, the problem has not been reproduced again.

Thanks for your interest

Eduardo "kensai" Romero

#6 2009-03-09 01:06:23

kensai
Website

Nope, it wasn't madwifi, It lasted a lot without freezing at login but it did it again today. And I don't think it can be a hardware problem, because it happens only at login time, not before and not after. Will try to check deeper into this.

#7 2009-03-09 11:47:40

TheBodziO
Website

Have you tried to ssh on your machine after observing hang? Maybe it's alive and only appears as dead? Don't know where it would lead you but could give you a hint anyway.

#8 2009-03-09 15:21:46

kensai
Website

Yeah, indeed a good advice. Anyways, I am testing arch32 just in case, since that never happened while I was using it. If all is clear using arch32 then something in arch64 behaves bad with my laptop. And worth noticing this never happened when I installed ubuntu64 whcih was right after I bought it just to test hardware and see how I could set up Arch64 on it.

#9 2009-03-09 15:43:15

estyles

I have this problem with Slim.  I just installed yesterday (have tried arch before, and always end up going back to Ubuntu because it's easier, but I really want to fix all my issues and run arch eventually), and initially using startx resulted in no keyboard or mouse input.  Then I added hal to my daemons list, and it worked using startx and startxfce4.  Then when I installed Slim, Slim doesn't accept mouse or keyboard input at the login screen.

I'm guessing that my problem might be that I am backgrounding hal, and that might be your problem as well (I think that *maybe* it's a race condition - if hal is not finished starting by the time Slim or KDM starts, then I think that could cause keyboard and mouse input to not work).  I'm not able to try fixing this problem for myself right now, but I'll try it tonight.  If it is a race condition, then that could certainly explain the intermittent failure - sometimes hal wins and sometimes Slim/KDM "wins", causing *you* to lose.  smile

So, check your Daemons line in rc.conf.  If you have @hal, try switching it to just hal, and make sure it's before Slim or KDM in the list...

Dunno if that helps or not...

#10 2009-03-09 18:08:05

kensai
Website

Yeah, I am not backgrounding any daemon, and yes login managers are always listed last.

#11 2009-03-12 12:45:03

kensai
Website

OK, for the first time I have gathered some information that can be helpful.

I had the free this morning, when kdm started as always, I couldn't move mouse or input anything, so I said " lets plug in an external mouse" and it worked! So I came to the conclusion that the only thing being not functional is my laptops keyboard and mouse. Is weird the fact that I think this is Xorg related but once I had this booting to init 3 terminal with no graphical interface. I will try to debug this even further and create a bug report as soon as I get some leads.

Anyone has some ideas?

#12 2009-03-19 09:38:46

lman

No ideas, but I have the same problem... and it's driving me crazy. Sometimes it helps replugging my keyboard and mouse (both usb), sometimes not. I'll try to connect to it through ssh.
Can this be a udev or dbus or hal problem? I don't think it's directly related to xorg as I can't find any log about updating it in last two weeks - when the problem first occured... (the last update was feb. 27)

Anyway: i found some errors in logs, maybe it helps:

slim.log:
lot of: Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Xorg.0.log: 
(II) evaluating device (Keyboard0)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) evaluating device (PS/2 Mouse)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2 Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) PS/2 Mouse: Setting mouse protocol to "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) PS/2 Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver

Last edited by lman (2009-03-19 09:55:23)

#13 2009-03-19 09:57:48

lman

And btw I have a desktop, not a laptop, so this thread should be moved to Arch64 forum.

#14 2009-03-19 19:12:44

lman

So... i think it's a problem with hal+evdev try disabling it in xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AutoAddDevices" "false" 
EndSection

#15 2009-03-20 04:56:53

AndyRTR
Developer

I'm also having this problem using free ati driver in Arch64 with a AMD based chipset  laptop. Sometimes gdm startup freezes the whole system Diffing the Xorg.0.log show Xorg having trouble with synaptics and evdev drivers. But I remember having this too long ago where hal/evdev setup wasn't even known yet.

#16 2009-03-21 16:27:37

dr/owned

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago...it happened when I tried to set hal to load as a background module and my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work on the login screen.  I had it happen again after I improperly changed something in my xorg.conf but I couldn't figure out what, just re-ran nvidia-xconfig and it worked again.

#17 2009-03-21 17:00:15

kensai
Website

well, I now have evnabled testing,a nd the latest kernel and udev 140 is on my system, and its been like 3 days and this have not happened to me again. This is strange, bu oh well lets try to keep debugging this until we get to the root. I cannot say for sure it is Xorg related, since once it happened to me when I booted directly to cli, but that time it could have been something else.

#18 2009-03-22 00:04:59

kensai
Website

this happened again, so I was wrong, it keeps happening. sad logs are not that helpful. I see nothing different on a log from the system booting fine and a system booting into a non functional keyboard mouse. I wonder if not starting hal at boot will make this never happen again, but I'm so clueless about this.

Board footer