You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 09:54:59

yvonney

Confused: which LIVE BOOT method best: to give ARCH to Windows friends

OH GEEZ: I THINK I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM.
-----------------------

Hi!

[OBJECTIVE] be able to give an ARCH DVD to a couple of friends that use Windows.

MAIN QUESTION: which method I should learn now? I will build ON an Arch system so no other distro compatibility required.

There's at least 3 or 4 methods on the forums/wiki to get all or part way on this.

1) I could use a DVD so is it really advised to still use squashFS or can that be left off? I would have more than 4 gig of data.

2) Will they be able to boot from the DVD and have their 'wired' ethernet found automatically or should I find out what chips they use and make sure that the package is installed and the rc.conf customized for them? Same question about video.

3) They don't need to save any data though the persistence thing is of interest as a technique to have.

4) Being able to choose the apps that are on the DVD would be essential obviously.

5) A system that works well enough with the 2009.02 ARCH release is necessary.

Really looking for a definitive on this as all the methods seem terrific and of course one will suit best I expect.

As always, I'm very appreciative of your time and knowledge.

Any thoughts on this? :--)

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-03 16:51:06)

#2 2009-03-03 13:32:07

Skripka

Re: Confused: which LIVE BOOT method best: to give ARCH to Windows friends

If your goal is anything beyond showing what an Arch environment can do (i.e. making a liveCD installer)-I'd caution you that there be demons ahead.  The text based Arch installer is a tutorial for how to do things-and not having the user do it themselves is a disservice to them in the immediate term.

Now, in the event I've read your intent wrong, something like Chakra sounds like it might do what you want for you....of course it is still in heavy development.

#3 2009-03-03 16:38:09

yvonney

Re: Confused: which LIVE BOOT method best: to give ARCH to Windows friends

Thanks!  And, I'm still studying.

EDITED: LARCH is working fantastically. Really opened my eyes to scripts and their power.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-13 03:37:37)

Board footer