You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 14:26:59

userlander

[Solved] XFCE 4.6 Menu Question

Does anyone know where the submenu contents "live?" The main menu references files in the /usr/share/ desktop-directories, but those files don't contain pointers to the actual applications. I'm wondering where it's reading them from so I can change them. They're not "hard coded" into these <Category> designations, are they?

Last edited by userlander (2009-03-03 22:56:18)

#2 2009-03-03 17:41:32

fijam
Website

Re: [Solved] XFCE 4.6 Menu Question

in /usr/share/applications actually. http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu#edit_entries

#3 2009-03-03 21:29:31

userlander

fijam wrote:

in /usr/share/applications actually. http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu#edit_entries

Right, but that doesn't tell how to edit submenus. Where is it reading the submenu entries from (the items in Accessories, Games, Graphics, Network, etc.)? Those are what I want to edit.

#4 2009-03-03 22:26:56

jbusch

If you edit the Categories= section, I think you can modify which submenu the application appears under.  Likewise, you can create your own files in /usr/share/applications to appear in the submenu.  If there is a different or better way to do it, I'm not sure.

#5 2009-03-03 22:30:57

thunderogg

Well, you can't exactly "edit" them. They are filled dynamically with the program launchers (program.desktop) which match the Category parameter specified in the "/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-application.menu" In "xfce-application.menu" you will also find the submenu names in form of directories(dir.directory). You can manipulate with the Category specified in the program.desktop files and make them show up in other submenues (Directories) or not display them anywhere, by putting "NoDisplay=true" in them. The best way of doing that is to copy the "/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-application.menu" to $HOME/.config/menus/ and the .desktops files you want to change to "$HOME/.local.share/applications/" where they will override the global settings and also resist an eventual overwrite when updating the system.

It's not crystal clear, perhaps, but that's the way it is.
I hope that can be of help to you. smile

Edit: Too late as always ... smile

Last edited by thunderogg (2009-03-03 22:31:41)

#6 2009-03-03 22:56:01

userlander

So  it was the Category function as I first suspected. I just didn't see that Category= option before, thanks that solves it. smile

p.s. just to add a tip here, you can make your own categories by adding a file with the name you want in /usr/share/desktop-directories, which will serve as the category to add the apps to. You then just add the name of the custom subdirectory to the ~/.config/menus xfce menu following the syntax there for the other ones. Like I said, I just didn't see that category= option at first and couldn't figure out how to get the apps into the custom subdirectories. tongue thanks guys.

Last edited by userlander (2009-03-03 23:02:03)

Board footer