You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-04 08:55:46

Barghest

[solved] No printer in acroread

Hi,

currently I can't print any pdf sad

In acroread there is no printer to select. In the drop down list only stands "Custom". In Any other application I can select the installed printers.

Evince is no alternative since an already known bug prevents printing (a problem with authentification).

Any idea how to solve the problem with acroread?

Thanks

Last edited by Barghest (2009-03-12 08:58:44)

#2 2009-03-04 15:53:02

firecat53
Website

Re: [solved] No printer in acroread

Did you try actually printing? In the field next to 'Custom' there should be the command 'lp'. This will print the document to your current default cups printer. Make sure there is a default printer actually selected.

Good luck!
Scott

#3 2009-03-04 17:33:34

Barghest

Hi firecat,

thanks for your reply.

It seems that the problem I already had with evince now occurs in all programs. When I use "lp" I receive the message "lp: Unauthorized".

What is also new is that openoffice now aksk for a password. The problem with printing first occurs at my office (see this unanswered thread). I still guess it has something to to with a update during the last days since I didn't touch any config files (or these are different errors?).

The printer itself is connected to a print server (Synology DiskStation) on that also now updates or changes were made.

I hope anyone can help me since I'm unable to print now - both at home and at office sad

Last edited by Barghest (2009-03-04 17:35:01)

#4 2009-03-04 19:29:32

firecat53
Website

Yeah, that *&^#$*& password thing sad . It comes from the following line being inserted into /etc/cups/printers.conf apparently by a bug in samba or ipp, I think. You can type your root password to get it to work, but not all applications will provide the username/password prompt (like Firefox).

AuthInfoRequired username,password

If you remove that line, and restart cups it will work. However, at some point cups will reinsert that line back into your printers.conf. I have yet to find a solution to this problem, which I posted about back in December. I just found a possible workaround (from the ubuntu launchpad), but I haven't tested it yet.

sudo /etc/rc.d/cups stop
sudo vi (or nano or gedit or whatever) /etc/cups/printers.conf  and remove the line AuthInfoRequired username,password
sudo chattr +i /etc/cups/printers.conf
sudo /etc/rc.d/cups start

This should keep printers.conf from getting overwritten (sets the immutable attribute on the file). However you will have to remove the immutable attribute (sudo chattr -i /etc/cups/printers.conf) if you want to add or remove a printer. Again, I have not tested this yet (it's a problem w/ my other computer).

Good luck!
Scott

#5 2009-03-04 21:38:59

Barghest

Thanks again.

I already tried this since I found this in a launchpad bug report. The problem is that even the immutable attribute is remove when the printer is turned off an on again.

#6 2009-03-05 02:28:11

firecat53
Website

Sigh. Yeah, I just tried it too and it STILL asks for the (*&^@@#! password when I try to print. Very obnoxious when I've got kids trying to print stuff for school!!!

Scott

#7 2009-03-05 19:18:39

tcmdvm
Website

You might try using the following in custom where lp is: lpr -PNAME where NAME is the name of the printer.

I have run into this problem with bin32-acroread under 64 bit system.

However, if its a permission problem this may not help. But it might be worth trying.

#8 2009-03-11 15:57:16

Barghest

Hi,

I think I solved my permissions error (I was a bit stupid).

For printing in acroread I can use "lp", but not lpr -Oki_B4100.

But that's ok, since I can print now smile

Thanks!

Board footer