You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-04 09:35:53

carzzz215

Strange UIM Input Behavior

I have UIM installed for Japanese input, and the Japanese input works fine.  I also run the uim toolbar (gtk version) and that runs fine as well.

Inside the "Global Settings" within the UIM preferences...I have my "Default input method" selected as "Direct" (because I type everything in English until I need to type in Japanese).  My other input method is "Anthy" (for Japanese).  And within my Global Settings, my "Input Method toggle key" is assigned as "control + shift".  So ideally, when I press control+shift, I can switch from English to Japanese and visa vesa; but this is not always the case. 

If my "Default input method" is selected as "Direct", then I can type in english normally when I open any program.  But when i press my control+shift to switch to Japanese...it doesn't switch.  I have to manually go to the toolbar with the mouse and select Anthy; and then it starts working fine.  If I press control+shift again now...it will go back to "Direct" like it should.  At this point I can now switch back and forth between the two input methods with control+shift.  Every new window I open, the whole thing repeats; meaning I have to manually set the UIM toolbar to Anthy before I can use control+shift to switch between the two input methods.

Now, if I select "Anthy" as my Default input method within the Global settings, I don't have this problem.  If I open any new window, I can swtich from "Anthy" and "Direct" just using control+shift without ever touching the UIM-toolbar (the toolbar is just there so I can see which input mode is currently selected).  The problem is, since Anthy is now set as the Default input method, I have to always press control+shift everytime I open a new program to type in English.  (Imagine opening your firefox typing in the URL you want to go to, but instead your typing in Japanese in the URL bar everytime because you foget to press control+shift everytime you open a new firefox tongue

These issues happen regardless of whether my "Effective Coverage" setting is set to "Whole Desktop" or "Focused Application Only"

Has anyone else experience these type of problems with UIM?  Actually, SCIM works better when it comes to these issues, but i always had trouble with qt applications with SCIM so I prefer not to go there. 

In /etc/profile I have:

export GTK_IM_MODULE='uim'
export GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE=~/.immodules
export QT_IM_MODULE='uim'
uim-xim &
export XMODIFIERS=@im='uim'

And I generated the .immodules file. 

The only other info I have is that during bootup I see a:

UIM-XIM Bridge. Now Supporting Multiple Locales
Using full-synchronous XIM event flow.
failed to open display!

I don't know what that means, or if it means anything.  I not sure what is meant by failed to open display, but gdm boots up fine and login to my xfce fine. 

Anybody?

Board footer