You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-04 15:11:06

cjnkns

Sporatic network activty

Hi all -

I am still very new to Arch and learning a ton about my system and configuration.

I do seem to be having an issue with network connectivity though. To be honest the network connectivity seems a bit wonky. ( I have dying to use that word smile)

Arch will start downloading the files but then everything just seems to stop and then it might start again after a few minutes.
Anyone familiar with this type of issue?

I did have to do some digging because I kept getting a corrupt xorg-fonts-100dpi.... file. I saw a thread on this forum that suggested doing a 'wget' with another url.
The problem is that I get to about 60% of the download and it just seems to hang.

#2 2009-03-04 15:30:16

bgc1954

Re: Sporatic network activty

You're not alone.  I've noticed this for awhile with my own cable hi-speed connection.  Probably the only reason we notice a drop-out is that while downloading or upgrading things, pacman shows the speed and download amount so you can notice when it drops out.  It generally starts again but sometimes I get tired of waiting and hit Ctrl+c to stop it and then just try again.  It seems more noticeable on some mirrors than others.  I even called my cable provider to complain about the dropout and they said everything is fine on their end and said it must be my router.  I just recently switched from satellite to cable tv and when the installer came I mentioned it to him.  He looked at my old cable modem and said, "No wonder you've got dropout.  Your modem power supply is burning out".  He went out to the van and gave me a brand new modem and it seemed to help for a day or so but now it's the same as it always has been for me.  Then I  went ahead and got a new router and that didn't help either.  So the long and short of it is I just put up with it now.  Sometimes it's just fine so I'm not always sure if it's at my end or not. hmm

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer