You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-05 09:15:41

dandus

[Solved]KDEmod3 and KDEmod4 start at the same time

I recently switched to kdemod from kdemod3, and when I login in...

schermata1.th.png

Both of them start up! First kdemod4 starts, and then kdemod3 does. I see my kdemod4 desktop for an istant, at startup.

My /etc/profile.d/kde.sh is the following

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde 
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:/usr
export PATH=$PATH:$KDEDIR/bin 
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$KDEDIR/lib/pkgconfig
if [ ! -z $XDG_DATA_DIRS ]; then 
  export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$XDG_DATA_DIRS:$KDEDIR/share 
else 
  export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KDEDIR/share 
fi 
if [ ! -z $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS ]; then 
  export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS:$KDEDIR/etc/xdg 
else 
  export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$KDEDIR/etc/xdg 
fi

Last edited by dandus (2009-03-31 19:05:32)

#2 2009-03-05 16:40:07

mcmillan

Re: [Solved]KDEmod3 and KDEmod4 start at the same time

I don't seem to have that file on my system, so I can't directly compare. But my guess would be these two lines:

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde 
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:/usr

/opt/kde is where kde3 lives, while kde4 is in /usr. So this seems to be saying to include both versions of KDE's directories.  Try just having one line saying

export KDEDIR=/usr

#3 2009-03-06 02:40:46

toxygen

I had that same problem when i first set up kdemod4.  the problem for me was i was using compiz on kdemod3, and had the line

KDEWM="compiz-fusion"

on my ~/.bashrc, which was causing compiz to load kde3 panel and other stuff after kde4 loaded.  I think  you might have a similar situation (and mcmillan's post might solve it for you).  for me switching that line to KDEWM = "kwin" solved it.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#4 2009-03-06 13:50:40

dandus

Kde4 doesn't actually need a kde.sh file to start properly, but it needs one to make programs written in kde3 (e.g. kile) to be launched properly via simply writing "kile" in a shell, and to make it stay inside the kickoff-menu.

At first the file didn't even had execution permissions, i gave it to it to fix this problem.

For now, i type /opt/kde/bin/kile (or something similar) to launch kile, but i would like it to work without me setting a path.

#5 2009-03-06 17:58:14

toxygen

dandus wrote:

Kde4 doesn't actually need a kde.sh file to start properly, but it needs one to make programs written in kde3 (e.g. kile) to be launched properly via simply writing "kile" in a shell, and to make it stay inside the kickoff-menu.

At first the file didn't even had execution permissions, i gave it to it to fix this problem.

For now, i type /opt/kde/bin/kile (or something similar) to launch kile, but i would like it to work without me setting a path.

do you have a file called
/etc/profile.d/kde.sh
or
/etc/profile.d/kde3.sh
?

on my arch it always gets installed with no execute (chmod +x /etc/profile.d/kde3.sh fixes it).  then log out/log in again and path should work.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#6 2009-03-08 14:50:15

dandus

I tried that, but nothing actually changed. Just as when /etc/profile.d/kde.sh is given executing permissions, I get both kdemod3 and kdemod4 desktop, the first above the latter.

One solution would be simpliy de-installing kdemod3 as a whole and keeping only the kde3 apps i need, but i'm not sure of how it can be done safely and the wiky doesn't say anithyng about it.

How 'bout that?

#7 2009-03-31 19:05:09

dandus

I solved thi by disinstalling kdemod3. I had some problems involving khtml too, but I solved them by simply adding a line in some random configuration file. The details of solving the latter can be found here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50278

Board footer