You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-08 09:17:00

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

quixand: create single-use unrecoverable encrypted sandboxes

info page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/quixand

About
Quixand (pronounced "quicksand") is a tool for easily creating disposable, single-session encrypted sandboxes. Quixand will create an encrypted directory with EncFS using "paranoid" mode and a random key. Once mounted, quixand can create temporary files and directories within the encrypted directory and symlink any file on  your system to them. You can then use the symlinked files and directories as you normally would, but any data written to them will not be written to the disk in an unencrypted form. Once unmounted, the data within the encrypted directory should be unrecoverable because the key is not stored anywhere. Typical usage includes sandboxing your browser cache directory, creating secure disposable history files for various apps that you only wish to use for the session and creating a general-purpose sandbox for temporary files, for example the contents of a usb stick. The "Examples" section below should provide further insight into potential uses of quixand.

examples

As always, questions and feedback are welcome. I would be particularly interested in hearing back from cryptofreaks.

p.s. the only reason that I didn't call it "quicksand" was that the name was already taken

Last edited by Xyne (2009-03-10 09:37:18)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2009-03-10 09:38:23

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: quixand: create single-use unrecoverable encrypted sandboxes

*bump*

I've changed the description a bit to more clearly explain what this does.

#3 2009-03-10 09:54:01

Shapeshifter

Also, note that your signature (-script) has been broken for over a week now. unless you intentionally have that ==> ERROR in there ^^

#4 2009-03-10 09:55:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Shapeshifter wrote:

Also, note that your signature (-script) has been broken for over a week now. unless you intentionally have that ==> ERROR in there ^^

big_smile

#5 2009-03-10 10:13:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Shapeshifter wrote:

"-f" doesn't work. I've filed a bug report.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-03-10 10:14:46)

Board footer