You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-08 10:27:01

ninjaELF

Xfce4.6 choppy movements.

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to archlinux.  I first installed arch linux on a test machiene on February 25.  the first Destop Environment I installed was Xfce4, wich I beleive was Xfce4.4.xx.  Everything ran great, I was thrilled with this distrobution and decided I was going to switch over for a while.

On March 2nd, I thought I'd format the drive and install archlinux again from scratch, to make sure I understood everything.  I followed the same procedure, though this time Xfce looked different and did not perform very well.   I thought maybe I installed something in a different order, so I formated the drive and installed everything once again.  Still the same problem. 

I than checked the forums and read that Xfce4.6 had been released and on February 27 they were working on getting the repositories updated. I checked with pacman "pacman -Ss" to see what version was in the repositories and it was in face Xfce4.6.

My only real problem occurs when I move windows around.  They redraw so slowly, it looks like the computer is much slower than it is.  3D works fine,  I can play movies fine, flash and java works fine.  Its just went a drag a window around, it redraws so slowly.

I am using nvidia-96xx video driver.  When I install the open source nvidia driver,  this problem disappears, though I lose 3D acceleration.

Is there a solution to this problem?  If not is it possible to install the older version of Xfce?

Thanks

Adam

#2 2009-03-08 14:10:54

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Xfce4.6 choppy movements.

play with the options in the window manager tweaks section. there you can set how to handle drawing while moving the window. also you can play with the compositor settings and replacing nv with nouveau is also a good solution if you don't care much about 3D.

#3 2009-03-08 18:37:57

ninjaELF

Thanks,  In Window Manager Tweaks I checked "Enable display compositing"  which seemed to make a tremendous improvement. I was able to keep my 3D acceleration and all. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Adam

#4 2009-03-08 19:39:36

ninjaELF

Very strange,  its seems this was not my only new problem.  It doesn't seem that it was xfce specific either.

I installed LXDE and it to had the same issue moving windows around.   I than played a video and noticed it was playing slower than the audio.

When I installed arch Linux last week,  one of the things I was impressed with was how well it handled my video card, and how well it played these video's.

I see the nvidia-96xx driver has been updated a few times since my first install.  I can only imagine this is what has caused the trouble. sad

Very strange.

Board footer