You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-08 19:37:57

KimTjik

Partially PekWM related: how to improve 2D performance?

I'm not sure how to explain this in correct English, but in short:

- when a window is dragged over the desktop in PekWM the 2D experience "dragging" slow.
- objects aren't redrawn quickly and hence dragging behaves like I'm "painting" the screen with windows boarders.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here. In Awesome I don't see this awkwardness when dragging floating windows, neither in XFCE4 or KDE. Does PekWM need some extra xorg settings to play nice and smooth on the desktop?

PekWM might not become my default environment, Awesome is, but I'm planning to use it as a replacement for a pure XFCE installation I sometime use.

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-03-08 19:38:47)

#2 2009-03-08 20:30:25

Roberth

Re: Partially PekWM related: how to improve 2D performance?

What graphics card do you have, and what driver are you using?

Use the Source, Luke!

#3 2009-03-08 22:31:49

KimTjik

Nvidia 7600GT + nvidia proprietary drivers

Performance is good in games, video playback and editing, blender and so forth. Like I wrote, in DE:s like XFCE and KDE nothing like it is noticed, just dragging in Awesome doesn't produce anything like it either.

I've compared with plain vesa and the above description is consistent, but with worse overall performance of course. I did however discover some distinguishable disadvantages in PekWM while running some tests (driver independent):

- dragging on a clean desktop doesn't "paint" windows all over the screen, but performance of redrawing windows isn't as good as in Awesome and XFCE
- the real problem in PekWM happens when I drag one window over another, then the dragged top windows "paint" frames and it takes some time before they disappear

PekWM, Awesome and XFCE are all different from each other, thus at least leaving the possibility open that this issue might be driver independent. What do you think?

#4 2009-03-09 02:36:49

Nate

>PekWM, Awesome and XFCE are all different from each other, thus at least leaving the possibility open that this issue might be driver independent. What do you think?

I'm experiencing somewhat of the same problem.  I use Awesome and Wmii.  Lately, when I open a simple urxvt terminal, I can see it paint in the top left of the screen, and then move to the bottom right.

Also, if I switch from tag 1 to tag 2, on either Awesome or Wmii, there's a very noticeable lag.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but if you find a solution, then please post it to this conversation.

Thanks,
--Nate

#5 2009-05-11 09:33:17

frigaut
Website

I had the same problem. Dragging windows and window content redraw was slow, very slow.
Using xcompmgr entirely solved the issue.

Archer since 03/2009 - AUR packages

#6 2009-05-13 14:18:41

KimTjik

Interesting, your suggestion frigaut about xcompmgr works for me as well.

Board footer