You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-11 05:26:54

tad
Member
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 19

Disable Composite extension without xorg.conf

I'm running Arch on a Thinkpad X31, and everything works nicely without an xorg.conf (which is just how I like it). However, in my quest for minimalism, I've noticed that the Composite extension is loaded, which slows down window rendering when running non-compositing window managers. So, how do I disable it without compromising my minimalistic ideals?

Offline

#2 2009-03-11 09:00:39

Rasi
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-08-14
Posts: 1,914
Website

Re: Disable Composite extension without xorg.conf

i highly doubt having composite slows down the computer, espacally on non-composite window managers, since composite only affects opengl windows anyway...

Apart from that X theoretically can be run with command line switches, but i havent been able to find one for composite...

Last edited by Rasi (2009-03-11 09:04:54)


He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Offline

#3 2009-03-12 03:18:17

tad
Member
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 19

Re: Disable Composite extension without xorg.conf

I have given up and made a simple xorg.conf, with only an "Extensions" section to disable Composite. Indeed, there is a difference; Firefox now scrolls quite smoothly, and switching between full-screen windows in wmii is noticably quicker. Perhaps it's my crappy video card (or the x.org radeon driver).

Offline

#4 2009-03-12 04:41:47

Gen2ly
Member
From: Sevierville, TN
Registered: 2009-03-06
Posts: 1,529
Website

Re: Disable Composite extension without xorg.conf

If you're using KDE you can enable/disable their desktop effects with Alt+Shift+F12.


Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB