You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-11 19:52:23

pointone
Wiki Admin

[SOLVED] Latest xmobar update changes configuration file syntax

I have already solved my problem, but am posting the solution as I expect others will likely encounter the same issue.

The recent update to xmobar in [community] (0.9-4 to 0.9.1-1) silently introduces configuration file syntax changes, it would appear. After updating, xmobar would fail to start for me, with a generally useless error message:

xmobar: /home/user/.xmobarrc: configuration file contains errors!

Helpful, right?

Anyhow, after much Googling to no avail, I stumbled across http://code.haskell.org/xmobar/xmobar.config-sample, which worked flawlessly on my machine. It turns out, it is now necessary to specify "lowerOnStart = True" in .xmobarrc or it will fail with the above error message.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#2 2009-03-11 20:05:56

bidigo

Re: [SOLVED] Latest xmobar update changes configuration file syntax

Thanks pointone!

I struggled with the same error myself and, being unable to fix it, had to downgrade to the previous version.

Just did pacman -Syu now and it works like a charm!

#3 2009-03-12 16:55:07

phabulosa
Website

pointone wrote:

I have already solved my problem, but am posting the solution as I expect others will likely encounter the same issue.

The recent update to xmobar in [community] (0.9-4 to 0.9.1-1) silently introduces configuration file syntax changes, it would appear. After updating, xmobar would fail to start for me, with a generally useless error message:

xmobar: /home/user/.xmobarrc: configuration file contains errors!

Helpful, right?

Anyhow, after much Googling to no avail, I stumbled across http://code.haskell.org/xmobar/xmobar.config-sample, which worked flawlessly on my machine. It turns out, it is now necessary to specify "lowerOnStart = True" in .xmobarrc or it will fail with the above error message.

NOTE: it seems that lowerOnStart option HAS TO be RIGHT after "position=".

#4 2009-03-13 02:06:04

timetrap
Website

Thanks. I was wondering what was up. Adding the line "lowerOnStart = True" worked for me too.

#5 2009-03-15 01:39:25

mantus

Brilliant. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the link.

Wondered why it didnt start after logging in and what the error was. Got a slight windows feeling with that error message tongue

Board footer