You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 09:45:51

lateralus

Can't get netbeans to work

Hi folks!

I'm having some issues with netbeans. I just installed it through pacman -S netbeans, and it doesn't work. Despite the fact that I have to pass a --jdkhome switch every time i want to start it, it still refuses to cooperate. It just hangs - displays the window in which should appear the license, but it doesn't, and I have to ctrl+c it. Any ideas? roll

#2 2009-03-13 16:03:41

luis55

Re: Can't get netbeans to work

Same problem here, i have two arch installations and i have trouble only with the most recent one when i installed netbeans today. I noticed the ~/.netbeans folder is empty.

#3 2009-03-13 18:26:16

joephantom
Website

I installed netbeans some days ago (because I'am having a problem with eclipse-cdt) and everything works fine.

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward - Mikhail Bakunin

#4 2009-03-14 08:30:04

drewbug01
Website

That's a very interesting problem -- I installed it today and it works just fine. Then again, I'm running x86_64.
Are you using openjdk, or Sun's jdk? I would wholeheartedly suggest trying Sun's jdk, if you're not already.

-- Drew

#5 2009-03-15 23:57:24

Xi0N
Website

same problem here..... i installed netbeans, and when i try t run it from console i get the error message:

"Cannot find java. Please use the --jdkhome switch."

If i run java --version i get this:

java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.3.3

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

So i tryed to instal the atest java runtime environment ... jre... because the java version seems too old and i get a message saying that java-gcj-compat (required by netbeans) has incompatibility problems with jre... so i cannot uninstall it for installing jre....
How can i fix these dependencies problems?

Thanks!!

#6 2009-03-18 02:41:38

luis55

Are you using openjdk, or Sun's jdk?

I tried 'em both without luck. The working netbeans installation has openjdk and so far no problems. I'm using i686.

So i tryed to instal the atest java runtime environment ... jre... because the java version seems too old and i get a message saying that java-gcj-compat (required by netbeans) has incompatibility problems with jre... so i cannot uninstall it for installing jre....
How can i fix these dependencies problems?

Yeah that's weird, because i'm using netbeans without the java-gcj-compat package. Try uninstalling netbeans and it's dependencies, then update your system, then install openjdk6, and finally netbeans.

pacman -Rcs netbeans
pacman -Syu
pacman -S openjdk6
pacman -S netbeans

I haven't had time to check this issue in my most recent arch installation (wich is the one with the problem) so please let me know if it worked or if you find the solution.

#7 2009-03-18 07:11:41

Xi0N
Website

I finally installed jre and jdk (The official ones of Sun, not the openjdk or so) and i just run netbeans like this:

netbeans --jdkpath /opt/java/jre

It just works...

#8 2009-03-18 18:46:25

lateralus

Hah, it works! But then what is wrong with the java-gcj-compat package?

But now I have another problem. Using Netbeans I am unable to start Java SE project. I can only choose Java ME. I am kind of new to Java, so any help would be appreciated cool

Last edited by lateralus (2009-03-18 19:10:06)

#9 2009-03-28 17:39:45

luis55

I found out something interesting: in the begining I had installed netbeans with openjdk6, so i wanted to change to the sun's jdk and jre.
I did pacman -S jdk then tried to run netbeans with no luck: "--jdkhome switch" error. Then i just rebooted and after that netbeans worked fine. No more errors.

So in conclusion you just need to reboot everytime you change from sun's jdk to openjdk or viceversa.

But then what is wrong with the java-gcj-compat package?

Nothing really, it was a dependency for a previous version of netbeans, guess you can remove it.

But now I have another problem. Using Netbeans I am unable to start Java SE project. I can only choose Java ME. I am kind of new to Java, so any help would be appreciated

Try to install a different jdk, you should see a "Java" category under New Project that is Java SE.

#10 2009-03-28 19:45:10

skottish
Forum Fellow

luis55 wrote:

So in conclusion you just need to reboot everytime you change from sun's jdk to openjdk or viceversa.

Logging out and back in again would have worked. Also, "source /etc/profile" should have worked too.

Board footer