You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-14 14:35:03

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

How do I save *complete* KDE4 and x config?

I've always had trouble getting a global view of DE configuration, x configuration, etc.

For now, I've got KDE4.2 looking and behaving exactly as I want, which is not always the case. What do I need to back up in order to restore this if and when something gets goofed up by an upgrade or by my own stupidity?

I know to back up ~/.kde4, and I'm backing up a ~/.fonts.conf file that I sometimes tamper with. But what else should I back up? The wiki and other docs offer info about configuring and backing up various components, but don't necessarily tell how to restore an overall config.

Note that I'm not talking about returning to a previous system state à la Windows System Restore or Mac Time Machine, but rather how to get things looking and functioning the way they were at a previous point.

Thanks!

Last edited by dhave (2009-03-14 14:35:46)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2009-03-14 20:30:31

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: How do I save *complete* KDE4 and x config?

If I recall properly, KDE makes heavy use of current QT settings. Thus it would be advisable to backup $HOME/.qt, too.
Furthermore there is a kde.org directory in $HOME/.config containing some system/phonon configuration settings.
If you want to keep your KDM settings, have a look at /usr/share/apps/kdm, especially /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2009-03-14 22:19:17

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

bernarcher wrote:

If I recall properly, KDE makes heavy use of current QT settings. Thus it would be advisable to backup $HOME/.qt, too.
Furthermore there is a kde.org directory in $HOME/.config containing some system/phonon configuration settings.
If you want to keep your KDM settings, have a look at /usr/share/apps/kdm, especially /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions.

Thanks, bernarcher. That's just the kind of info I was looking for.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#4 2009-03-15 00:41:50

Rasi
Website

Not to forget /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/hal/fdi/policy/*

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer