You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 06:27:00

slackcub

Possible new user looking for more info.

Hello everyone:
    I am a long time Slackware user.  I have been using it exclusively for my desktops/servers for the past 9 years.  My only real big complaint about it is package management and overall support.  A friend of mine recently suggested that I look into ArchLinux as an alternative to Slackware.  I saw in the about area the comparison to Slackware, but I guess it left me still wondering just what the big differences are.  I like the idea of a more centralized packaging system (though linuxpackages.net is definitely great for slack packages).  Can ArchLinux be adapted with sys-V  init scripts? 

I mainly use my system(Alienware Area 51m laptop) for general usage(web surfing, office, etc).  However, I also use if for work for web development (PHP,MYSQL,etc) and will continue to do as such.  Is ArchLinux a good choice for that?  Is this an install that will take a while, because I can't have much downtime in my work to perform the necessary installs.

Thank you for any and all input you can give me.  I greatly appreciate it.

David

Last edited by slackcub (2009-03-15 06:27:17)

#2 2009-03-15 06:54:00

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Possible new user looking for more info.

slackcub wrote:

Can ArchLinux be adapted with sys-V  init scripts?

You could easily rewrite a sys-v daemon init script to function as an arch style rc.d daemon init.
But there isn't a general 'hang a sys-v init system off arch' methodology that I am aware of (nor would it likely be well accepted as 'idiomatically arch like'. The arch 'bsd like' init system is pretty straightforward.

I mainly use my system(Alienware Area 51m laptop) for general usage(web surfing, office, etc).  However, I also use if for work for web development (PHP,MYSQL,etc) and will continue to do as such.  Is ArchLinux a good choice for that?

As fine a choice as slackware would be, certainly.

Is this an install that will take a while, because I can't have much downtime in my work to perform the necessary installs.

If you don't have any experience with it, and you have a work requirement that you can't have any 'exploratory downtime' when learning a new distro, then I would probably recommend against it. If you have a spare machine, or a VirtualMachine that you can play around with for a while, I would highly recommend Arch. You might like it quite a bit.

Last edited by cactus (2009-03-15 06:56:16)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2009-03-15 15:44:30

MrAllan

slackcub wrote:

Is this an install that will take a while, because I can't have much downtime in my work to perform the necessary installs.

I installed and configured Arch with no prior Linux knowledge in a few hours, just by following the (awesome) Beginners Guide.

#4 2009-03-15 17:09:27

Leigh

To get a base system up and running, it took me about 20 to 30 minutes. There's really not much to it. At one point during the install it will recomend verifying / altering various config files. That was the most time consumming. Configuring the system afatwards can take quite a while.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#5 2009-03-15 17:15:46

ataraxia

My experience is that the best way to minimize configure time for any of the "DIY" distros is to pick out all your software ahead of time. It takes forever to install your extras if you have to research your choices at the same time. If you do that research ahead of time, you'll be able to install everything you need on the first boot with one (long) pacman command.

#6 2009-03-15 18:15:24

ralvez
Website

@slackcub,

I came to Arch with the exact same background as you and I do the exact same work you do: web development.
I made my "move" to Arch on a Friday because it gave me a week-end to fine twick my system... and that was at the time a smart move.
To install Arch for the first time I took time to read the wiki, then when I felt I had a good grasp of what was supposed to  happen I backed up my system and config files from Slackware (I think at the time I was using Slackware 9.1 or something along those lines) and then I installed Arch.

The install took me about 30 min. then I installed X and KDE. I used the wiki to install Apache, PHP and MySQL and the rest is history.
One thing I think it was "a key to success" was to do the install over the week-end. To install the system for web development and office work it took me +/- 2 hrs but ... to set it just like I had my Slackware box took me the next two days lol

I'm sure you will enjoy Arch... just plan your move ... and if you need help; ask. The Arch community is very friendly (yes we have a few characters too but that happens in the best families ... roll) and helpful.

Hope this helps.

R.

#7 2009-03-15 18:40:46

slackcub

Thanks everyone for the input!  I'm in the process of installing VMWare now so I can test it out and see what I think of it.  If I need anything, I will definitely ask!

David

Board footer