You are not logged in.

#26 2009-03-17 21:01:16

Damnshock

Re: Just installed, performance issue

geckoguykc wrote:

That seemed to speed it up a little, but  gnome is still slow. Maybe that's just gnome bloating....I'll see how xfce works out. Though the system has sped up, pacman still hangs at "retrieving pagackes" and I have to restart it. This must be some other issue

About the pacman problem: try changing the mirrors

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#27 2009-03-23 03:15:45

washirv

Just installed Arch and had similar problem.  Pacman sync (pacman -Sy) was unresponsive, and when that finally worked, Pacman upgrade system (pacman -Su) hung up after figuring out which packages to install.  I had changed no config files yet.

As others in this thread suggested here (thanks!), I added my hostname to the localhost line in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain  localhost  myhostname

and changed in /etc/rc.conf:

HOSTNAME="myhostname"

(where 'myhostname' is whatever name you assigned)  i.e. my hostname in /etc/hosts and in /etc/rc.conf match.

It is now downloading updates properly.

Last edited by washirv (2009-03-23 03:17:38)

#28 2009-03-23 11:18:08

Ranguvar

127.0.0.1   myhostname.mydomain   localhost.localdomain   myhostname   localhost

^^^ from the Wiki.

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-03-23 11:18:27)

#29 2009-03-23 13:15:29

japetto

geckoguykc wrote:

To be honest I made the stupid assumption that it was not pre-installed, which it was. tongue

A problem that has become pronounced lately is that pacman hangs when "retrieving packages from core" if I hit Ctrl+C and then run the command again it doesn't hang there. I have to do this everytime I use pacman. Does anyone know how I could fix this?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

#30 2009-03-23 15:09:22

Bysshe

Two things that you can do to speed up pacman performance....first as someone already mentioned, you have to change the mirror pacman is connecting to in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.  Comment the default, and uncomment one or two of the others (pacman tries the first mirror listed).  This is the most important thing you have to do because that server is being used for preliminary pacman configuration by people installing the distribution.  If I remember correctly, it's throtteld even.  Next, if you use a router, which I assume you do, you can speed up pacman considerably as well by cacheing dns requests.  Check your post-installation tips in the wiki, think it still mentions "Speeding up DNS using dnsmasq" as a link at the very bottom.  If you just search for dnsmasq in the wiki, it pulls up a different article so use the one related to speeding up dns.  For me, this made a huge general internet performance boost including pacman and internet browsing.

The best way to select a mirror for pacman is to use the rankmirrors script:  rankmirrors /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist 
I also recommend that if you can actually remove whole sections, like countries irrelevant to you in the mirrorlist file, it can help the script run faster.

#31 2009-03-23 15:13:08

Ranguvar

And try Powerpill, so you are using more than one mirror simultaneously.

Board footer