You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-14 14:09:06

PeskyGee

Slashdot article compared Yoper with Gentoo? How about Arch?

Hey all,
first here is the article http://www.linuxforums.org/news/article-24256.html
While Yoper sounds pretty good and it was interesting to see the comparison, I would like to see an comparision between Arch and both of those Distros. I used Gentoo before I started using Arch and it was cool but the main reason I switched was the time that it took to update and maintain the system. I just don't have the time for that anymore. Then I found Arch! Fast, lightweight, and very customizable. I was in heaven   big_smile . I have tried almost every distro listed on Distrowatch and I always come back to Arch. One thing I hate most about distros like Yoper is that you have no choice but to install KDE. I find that to be relevant in most distros and thats another thing that keeps me using Arch. I don't use KDE or Gnome and I don't want that to be installed on my system if I am not going to use it.

I closing of my ramblings , I would love to see someone do a comparison article of Arch with other distros and give Arch the credit that it truely deserves.  Thanks to all who work with Arch for a fast, stable, bleeding edge, and fully customizable distro.  wink

P.S. Also I think that the community with Arch is much better than being treated like s!@t like with other groups and I do mean Gentoo the most. I hated to even try to ask for help in IRC I'm sorry to say because they were horrible. Sorry if I offended anyone with that but thats the experience I had.

Cya!  8)

#2 2004-09-14 15:38:56

sarah31
Website

Re: Slashdot article compared Yoper with Gentoo? How about Arch?

bah who care let this two distros that think they are the best continue "to do battle" . it is of little concern to us.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-09-14 16:06:12

robot5x

PeskyGee wrote:

I would love to see someone do a comparison article of Arch with other distros and give Arch the credit that it truely deserves

Comparisons are irrelevant in my opinion, the most important thing is that YOU know how great arch is!

#4 2004-09-14 18:23:27

PeskyGee

Yes I agree but still I would like to see perhaps a little recognition in the Linux Community for Arch and its Dev's. They deserve it.  lol  Well lets just say that if anything I am very pleased with the work they have done. I have been using Arch for almost 2 years now and yes I have tried others on a seperate partitions just to see what's up but my primary is and always will be Arch. I read the article and just thought Hey, Arch is better than both of them as far as I can see so I had to open my mouth about it. Thanks for your response.  I had Yoper installed for about a day.   sad  I don't care for KDE that much and I hate RPM. So it was not for me for sure. Others, fine but I will stick with Pacman thank you.

Chomp On!!  big_smile

#5 2004-10-30 16:17:00

alakazam

Yeah this forum rocks, people are nice and helpful.  Plus I never see problems actually get resolved inGentoo forums, which was so annoying when people telled you to use hte search function

#6 2004-10-30 18:12:02

yak8998

alakazam wrote:

Yeah this forum rocks, people are nice and helpful.  Plus I never see problems actually get resolved inGentoo forums, which was so annoying when people telled you to use hte search function

Good god, are you kidding, EVERYTHING gets solved and documented over there. They're anal enough to compile everything, you think they're not going to track down every single bug? I flip through their forums a lot to find answers. The documentation section has a lot of cool stuff in it.

I don't think we need any recognition from the outside, just keep the current community and give the developers some thanks.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

Board footer