You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-18 18:44:33

cu3edweb

KDEmod4 Loging Out Problems

I have been using kdemod4 for about a month. I never log out usually. I just shutdown or restart, but last night I tried to log out and when I did my screen and keyboard just froze. Not sure if it is totally related to KDE, but when I had to reset my laptop with the power button and logged back into KDE all my panel, desktop, and background settings where gone. As if I logged into kde for the first time. I reset a number of my settings and tried again. The same thing happened.

Anybody else run into this problem?

I am using Arch64, and I have a Intel X3100 card. I will change some of my graphics card settings later tonight and see if it still does that, but was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this.

Thanks

#2 2009-03-18 20:43:28

Primoz

Re: KDEmod4 Loging Out Problems

cu3edweb wrote:

I have been using kdemod4 for about a month. I never log out usually. I just shutdown or restart, but last night I tried to log out and when I did my screen and keyboard just froze. Not sure if it is totally related to KDE, but when I had to reset my laptop with the power button and logged back into KDE all my panel, desktop, and background settings where gone. As if I logged into kde for the first time. I reset a number of my settings and tried again. The same thing happened.

Anybody else run into this problem?

I am using Arch64, and I have a Intel X3100 card. I will change some of my graphics card settings later tonight and see if it still does that, but was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this.

Thanks

Do you use Ext4?
I heard that Ext4 and KDE can result in data loss. I don't know if that's what it is. But it's a start.

Because it seems that your plasmarc was deleted set on default. But your description does sound similar to what I heard of Ext4 problems.

Hope that helps!

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2009-03-18 21:00:21

FrozenFox
Website

I think the above poster is correct as far as losing your plasma settings, with one addition:

KDE4 sometimes has problems logging out. Usually if you turn off desktop effects before you log out, it works fine. Though, I'm also aware that certain versions of the nvidia drivers have been reported to somehow not allow you to log out properly. In both cases for me though, it usually doesn't freeze, I can just ctrl+alt+backspace to go to the login menu and shut down from there properly, as EXT4 doesn't like you shutting down improperly. More specifically, most programs are written on the assumption of EXT3's safeguards that slow the system down, and the programs themselves don't like being shut down improperly.

#4 2009-03-18 21:12:56

Primoz

FrozenFox wrote:

I think the above poster is correct as far as losing your plasma settings, with one addition:

KDE4 sometimes has problems logging out. Usually if you turn off desktop effects before you log out, it works fine. Though, I'm also aware that certain versions of the nvidia drivers have been reported to somehow not allow you to log out properly. In both cases for me though, it usually doesn't freeze, I can just ctrl+alt+backspace to go to the login menu and shut down from there properly, as EXT4 doesn't like you shutting down improperly. More specifically, most programs are written on the assumption of EXT3's safeguards that slow the system down, and the programs themselves don't like being shut down improperly.

I had a similar problem to what you describe when I was still on Kubuntu. I was using bleeding edge 180 nvidia driver and after kernel upgrade (that might be just a coincidence) I couldn't get a log out/shutdown options. I had to reset X or write

sudo shtudown -h now

But now on Arch this problem is gone.
So if OP has issues with logging off and shuting down this is thing to use. But I still don't know the proper log out command I thoght it is shutdown something, but now I remeber that that is Windows command not Linux big_smile. So if anyone knows the command I would be glad to know it.

#5 2009-03-18 22:12:33

cu3edweb

Primoz wrote:

Do you use Ext4?

Yes I do.

Like I said shutdown and reboot has been working fine that is what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks to a month. It is just the log out at this point that I am aware of. I never use suspend to ram or hibernate or any of that. I usually don't log out either but that is what happened the two times I did.

So at this point there isn't much that I can do about it (other then try turning off desktop effects)? Is that what I am gathering?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by cu3edweb (2009-03-18 22:13:29)

#6 2009-03-18 22:54:38

Primoz

cu3edweb wrote:
Primoz wrote:

Do you use Ext4?

Yes I do.

Like I said shutdown and reboot has been working fine that is what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks to a month. It is just the log out at this point that I am aware of. I never use suspend to ram or hibernate or any of that. I usually don't log out either but that is what happened the two times I did.

So at this point there isn't much that I can do about it (other then try turning off desktop effects)? Is that what I am gathering?

Thanks for the info.

Yes that's correct. You'll just have to wait. Or you can try to back up your plasmarc and plasma-apletsrc from your ,KDE4/share/config to your USB pendrive or something and then if your desktop gets broken again just do this procedure:

1. put your USB in and mount it
2. open Dolphin
3. kquitapp plasma - this will quit plasma and you will be left without the desktop, so keep your Dolphin open and Yakuake running.
4.Copy your plasmarc and plasma-apletsrc to /.KDE4/share/config
5. Start your plasma again with plasma&

And hope that Ext4 doesn't eat some more important data big_smile

Last edited by Primoz (2009-03-18 22:55:27)

#7 2009-03-18 23:01:33

cu3edweb

Primoz wrote:

Should I look to change to another FS due to ext4 being a problem with KDE4?

#8 2009-03-18 23:58:35

Primoz

cu3edweb wrote:
Primoz wrote:

Should I look to change to another FS due to ext4 being a problem with KDE4?

If you find a article describing it yes why not. I know that once you're on Ext4 there is no way back to Ext3.
That pretty much made me stay on Ext3 for now.

#9 2009-03-19 00:22:46

cu3edweb

Primoz wrote:

If you find a article describing it yes why not. I know that once you're on Ext4 there is no way back to Ext3.
That pretty much made me stay on Ext3 for now.

Oh well, I did a fresh install with it. I will have to learn to deal with it for right now. Since I have made it for about a month and haven't had a problem I don't think it will be a big bother.

Thanks for all the info.

Last edited by cu3edweb (2009-03-19 00:24:41)

Board footer