You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-19 17:27:44

scooby

Xfce 4.6 power management

I have a fresh install of Archlinux on my netbook , a Samsung NC10. I am using Xfce 4.6 as a desktop manager.

I have installed the Xfce4 power manager plugin, but this only works if I am running as root. Hibernate and suspend work perfectly if I press the special button or close the lid. No problems. Suspend and hibernate throught the logout screen work fine as well.

However, if I am running as user (me), then none of these things work. Nothing happens if I press the special sleep button or close the lid. If I try to suspend or hibernate through the logout button then I get a message:

org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend no
<---(action,result).

The fact that it works if running as root suggests that it is either a group problem or a file permissions problem. I am a member of power group and users group, and am now out of ideas.

Any help appreciated.

#2 2009-03-19 18:01:37

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Xfce 4.6 power management

You need to configure PolicyKit to allow those actions for certain users.

$ man 5 policykit.conf

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-03-19 19:05:20

scooby

Thanks, it works now.

Is the documentation about using hal policies a bit lacking, or am I just stupid?
Never heard of Policykit.conf before. There are lots of files under /usr/hal/fdi/policy, but I don't know what half of them are or what they do. I can read the xml, but it isn't very self explanatory, or not to me anyway.

It's all part of the learning process, I suppose, which is one of the reasons I am using Arch. I don't know where to start reading.

Last edited by scooby (2009-03-19 19:06:12)

#4 2009-03-19 19:13:36

byte

> Is the documentation about using hal policies a bit lacking, or am I just stupid?

No, there is no documentation at all.
At one point PolicyKit became a dependency of HAL, but there was no pacman hint, wiki link, or frontpage news whatsoever.

Board footer