You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-19 20:42:33

Trivia89

Continuous Kernel Panic - Unable to use Arch :(

Good evening,
yesterday i tried on my vbox Arch Linux and i was fascinated with his elegance and cleanness.
Today i decided to install it on my physical machine, an HP tx2000 tablet pc with AMD Turion 64 processor, 2GB RAM, NVidia graphic chip.
I downloaded the ...-ftp-x86_64 iso and tried to install it, but i got hang two or three times during the install.
Being in the graphical setup window and unable to switch to another console, i just tried again and after few tries i managed to install the system, but it continued to hang in 5/10 minutes after the boot.
So i tried to download the ...-ftp-i686 iso and to boot it with secure settings like noapic or acpi=off, but i wasn't even able to see again the login screen, because i just keep on receiving a lot of Kernel Panics, like "CPU Context Corrupted", "Machine Check", "Tried to kill INIT", ...
This shouldn't be an hardware problem, because i'm using this pc a lot with Windows Vista and Debian Lenny andthey're both working fine.

Thanks for your assistance smile

#2 2009-03-19 21:08:57

the gray

Re: Continuous Kernel Panic - Unable to use Arch :(

could you post the entire error you are getting?

#3 2009-03-19 22:09:51

perbh

ctrl/alt/F2-F5 will give you extra screens during install. There is no graphic installer (well, I guess they are working on one, don't know how far it has come) - it is ctrl/alt/F1 that is used (with ncurses) as the install-screen.

#4 2009-03-19 22:27:08

Trivia89

Of course i meant the semi-graphical ncurses installer, sorry for my unlucky choice of words.
The point is i wasn't able to recognize the errors at first because they occurred when the installer was running and so didn't show any textual indication. Being the system hanged, i wasn't able to switch the consoles.
It's kind of strange having lots of Kernel Panic errors from the cd with working hardware... i'm a little bit disappointed sad

#5 2009-04-12 10:45:03

Trivia89

Hi there, i'd like to share some considerations on this problem.

Reinstalling the system, i noticed that i could use it nicely passing "noapic" at boot.
Almost everything worked nice in graphical and console mode (vga, wi-fi...) except for some problems with the usb ports and with the automount.

The funny thing is that, when booting the system without noapic parameter, the system works perfectly if i use it in graphical mode, but if i try to switch to one of the consoles from 1 to 6, it usually hangs in 5/10 minutes showing very disomogeneous output (from "swapper tainted" to "tried to kill INIT", from "CPU Context corrupted" to "Machine Check") or sometimes with no output at all, just a blinking tab led.

Now, when i know i have to work in the console, i just pass noapic at boot, and when i know i'll use only X (most of times) i boot without worring at all.
I wonder if there's someone who can make a point out of this, i surely can't, but am however quite happy big_smile

Last edited by Trivia89 (2009-04-12 10:46:12)

Board footer