You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-20 01:20:01

Mountainjew

Plasma Constantly Crahing

So, i switched to kdemod a few weeks ago and all was running well until i upgraded to 4.2.1. But ever since then, every half hour or so i get a black screen, though my open apps are still usable my desktop disappears. I have to restart Plasma to get my desktop back. It's very irritating and there's nothing i can do to reproduce it. It's really random and a lot of times will happen when my system is idling or i'm just browsing the net. I'm using Arch 64 with ext4.

I've checked my logs right after it happened and got this:

plasma[24308] trap stack segment ip:7fd7464ded1e sp:7fd62a350da0 error:0

Not sure what it means exactly, maybe somebody smarter than me can tell me.

Also, sometimes i get this error message:

The application Plasma Workspace (plasma) crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT)

I've tried downgrading my qt to 4.4 and used qtmod, but neither make a difference. At the moment i'm using qt 4.5 as downgrading didn't make a slight bit of difference. I've also tried using different nvidia drivers. At the moment i'm using 180.29 and have tried several versions. I don't think it's a driver problem anyway since i was using it for weeks without this issue. I've also tried deleting .kde and .kde4 but still get the same issue. I've also tried creating a new user and it still happens.

I really don't wanna reinstall my entire system or go back to Gnome (can't stand the sight of it since switching to KDE). I've tried asking on the chakra forum and kde forum. So this is my last ditch attempt. sad

#2 2009-03-20 02:01:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Plasma Constantly Crahing

There's a couple of suggestions here that may help:

http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-release- … 2-1-a.html

#3 2009-03-20 12:23:49

Mountainjew

Thanks i think that helped. I removed Yasp wireless and it hasn't crashed yet. Seems like it was bringing down plasma smile

Last edited by Mountainjew (2009-03-20 12:24:11)

#4 2009-03-29 18:10:59

sykesm

I was having exactly the same problem, the folowing solution from the suse link solved my problem completely, thanks for the link:)
===============
Found a solution. You need to delete the plasma files which are in /home/<user>/.kde4/share/config/ (plasmarc and there plasma-appletsrc). After that plasma works completely fine.

Board footer