You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-21 03:28:44

daedalusman

Nautilus freezing and consuming massive amounts of memory...

...when I try to view a folder containing .torrent files. It doesn't seem to happen with any other folders. This folder is on my external harddrive which is formatted as NTFS. Does anyone have any useful hints on this issue? Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

#2 2009-03-21 14:00:28

whoops

Re: Nautilus freezing and consuming massive amounts of memory...

Hi!

Do you happen to have unfinished media files inside the folder that are currently being loaded down? If so, the thumbnails for those might be generated anew every three seconds.

The only solution I found was: don't navigate into folders with in-progress-torrents with nautilus wink

I remember having recently coincidently found a setting which should (never tried) lets you modify the minimum "file-changed" difference until thumbnails are regenerated (that's where I got the 3 seconds from wink), but to change it you would have to modify nautilus source and it would take whatever time you put to redo ALL thumbs, so you'd have to wait for all altered files the set time (and something below 1-2 minutes instead of 3secs should not be too effective I guess). If you want to try that, I can try to look it up again and post something more specific on it wink

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-21 14:01:05)

#3 2009-03-21 14:27:34

daedalusman

whoops wrote:

Hi!

Do you happen to have unfinished media files inside the folder that are currently being loaded down? If so, the thumbnails for those might be generated anew every three seconds.

No, all that is in that folder are .torrent files themselves. My download location seems to load just fine though.

whoops wrote:

The only solution I found was: don't navigate into folders with in-progress-torrents with nautilus wink

I remember having recently coincidently found a setting which should (never tried) lets you modify the minimum "file-changed" difference until thumbnails are regenerated (that's where I got the 3 seconds from wink), but to change it you would have to modify nautilus source and it would take whatever time you put to redo ALL thumbs, so you'd have to wait for all altered files the set time (and something below 1-2 minutes instead of 3secs should not be too effective I guess). If you want to try that, I can try to look it up again and post something more specific on it wink

Nah, I will just see if anything else comes up. Thanks for the help though.

#4 2009-03-21 15:00:29

patson

I noticed the same thing happening on my external hard drive. Nautilus freezes if the external drive takes unusually long to spin up.
Just kill the nautilus process for now, and hope it's been fixed for 2.26. smile

#5 2009-03-21 18:54:05

mohaagh.02

nautilus consumes huge ressources .... you can wait for the 2.26 or switch to kde big_smile

Last edited by mohaagh.02 (2009-03-21 18:54:19)

#6 2009-03-21 18:59:57

Andy Mack

Or use pcmanfm like me smile

Board footer