You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-22 23:56:30

Leonid.I

[SOLVED: bug in ati drv] Screen flickering in Arch on reboot/shutdown

Hi, everyone!

I have just installed Arch (after N hours -- a little hard after fedora) and most things seem to work fine. However sometimes when I reboot/shutdown the machine, the screen starts flickering, showing horizontal stripes (just like a TV with bad signal).
The computer is Compaq Presario V2615US (AMD Sempron 3000+, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, widescreen, laptop). The kernel and X are 2.6.28-ARCH and 1.5.3, respectively. I am using the ati (which in turn invokes radeon) driver in my xorg.conf. The Xorg.0.log shows no errors...
The problem seems to be correlated with the wireless networking, when I manually connect to a network with iwconfig (because I have never seen it, while using the cable). I had the same (unresolved) issue in Fedora 8 with X 1.3 (basically, this was the reason for me to switch to Arch).
Have anyone encountered similar problem? I also tired to install the catalyst driver from AUR, but it requires catalyst-utils, which in turn needs Xorg 1.6 wierd...

Thanx in advance,
Leonid.

Last edited by Leonid.I (2009-10-11 21:27:08)

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#2 2009-03-25 17:14:01

Leonid.I

Re: [SOLVED: bug in ati drv] Screen flickering in Arch on reboot/shutdown

OK, it definitely seems to be due to an active wlan0 interface. I wonder, is there any way to automatically close network interfaces with, say, netcfg, on reboot/shutdown, before X is stopped -- is there any config file or script that does this?

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#3 2009-04-25 01:57:15

trm

My screen flickers when I reboot or shutdown from the Desktop.  A pulsating flashing across the top half inch or so of my screen.  If I killall X from the command line and the shutdown or reboot from the login screen, (kde), it doesn't flicker.  After reading your post I tried shutting down eth0, and even removed the module.  No flicker.  So you are right.  Did you find a solution?  I am using intel from testing, but have had the same or similar problem since installing a couple of months ago.

#4 2009-04-25 02:17:35

trm

I hope I'm right, but I had @wicd in rc.conf.  I remove the @, and have rebooted twice without problem.

Board footer