You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-16 17:00:43

axelmangr

slow mouse on X

Hi all!

I have a small problem in X. I am using redhat 9 and whenever I log on to X my mouse is extremely very slow. I run redhat-config-mouse and just click ok and then the mouse becomes as it should be. but if I log out of X and log on again then it becomes slow again.
here is a part of my XFree86 file

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
    Identifier  "DevInputMice"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

One of my questions is why there are two sections for the mouse? should I comment one of them? Any suggestions?

thanx in advance for any help
axelmangr

#2 2004-09-16 17:28:56

Kalidor

Re: slow mouse on X

Under the section "ServerLayout" you can see which mouse is actually used, simply compare the identifiers. You can but do not have to comment out the other mouse.

As for the speed: You can manually set this using "xset". Try something like "xset m 6 3". There are many places to put this, e.g. ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc (depending on how the X server is started).

And, by the way, this is not a RedHat forum. I guess nobody can/will help you with this distribution's configuration tools here.

Kalidor

#3 2004-09-16 20:24:00

axelmangr

thanx for the responce. I know that this is not a redhat forum but I think that this is a general newbie question of someone using redhat. Correct me if I am wrong.
Anyway, I commented out the useless stuff as you suggested and the XFfree86 became as follows:

Section "ServerLayout"
#    InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

and

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
EndSection

the part concerning the entry for the usb mouse has disapeared (I believe its ok since I comented it and rebooted)
but the problem was not solved. again when I logged in the mouse was slow and when I run the redhat-config-mouse tool it came to it's sence. Any more suggestions because it's really furstrating...

thanx again
axelmangr

#4 2004-09-17 06:00:15

Kalidor

Your XF86Config is not the problem, although you can do something there that affects your mouse's speed: Adding something like

Option "Resolution" "1600"

in the InputDevice section should make it a little faster.

However, you've got far better control by using the "xset" command which comes with XFree86:

xset m 6 3

(type this in a terminal) sets the acceleration to 6 and the threshold to 3, see

man xset

for details. More than likely, RedHat's config tool does nothing but call the xset!

Since you want to make this permanent, you have to put this command inside one of the scripts which are automatically executed each time you start an X session.
Try ~/.xsession if you use the XDM display manager or ~/.xinitrc if you use the "startx" command to start X. If there are many users and you use XDM, you might want to put it in /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole.

Greetings
Kalidor

Board footer