You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 13:57:08

Dianoga
Website

Gnome 2.26 Discussion

This is not another thread asking when Gnome 2.26 will be released (though I am curious and looking forward to it). This is a thread trying to figure out why even asking about it results in short replies and closed topics. We know that releasing an upgrade to Gnome is a big job. We know it will be ready when it is ready. I think we are just hoping for a possible status update. Or some idea of how we can help make it ready.

I understand that everyone working on Arch is doing it in their free time and I appreciate that. Possibly to help stop people from asking about when it is coming, you can make a page/sticky/something with just brief status updates to let us know that work is progressing.

#2 2009-03-23 14:26:57

ise
Developer
Website

Re: Gnome 2.26 Discussion

It's up to the maintainer to inform about the progress. Personally I see no need to maintain a website with status/progress information. The only thing you see would be a website with information about which package of gnome 2.26 was built. And if you have a website with percentage for example and it will stuck at ~80% everybody will ask why it stucks, etc.

If you want to know what is going on at our SVN, just subscribe to the arch-commits mailinglist (http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-commits). Every single commit of every single package will be send to you by mail and you know who is working on which topic or task.

To give a small status update: Jan is working hard on Gnome 2.26 and told me that he has finished 90% of the packages.

Last edited by ise (2009-03-23 14:28:19)

#3 2009-03-23 15:39:16

Dianoga
Website

Thanks for your excellent reply. I wasn't aware of the commits mailinglist.

ise wrote:

To give a small status update: Jan is working hard on Gnome 2.26 and told me that he has finished 90% of the packages.

That is excellent and exactly what I was looking for.

Also, is there any way for users to help in the packaging process? If not with this release, then future releases?

#4 2009-03-23 15:47:17

ise
Developer
Website

Dianoga wrote:

Also, is there any way for users to help in the packaging process? If not with this release, then future releases?

I think not. The packaging of the official repository is maintained only by developers. You can test the packages after they hit the testing repo and file bug reports, if there are any.

#5 2009-03-23 15:55:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums Dianoga.

One thing that every user can do if they're willing is enable the testing repository in order to make sure the packages are sane. Parts of the new Gnome have been going into testing since the tarballs were released.

#6 2009-03-23 19:20:00

alex_anthony

I had a thought about this.
A group of users could start writing PKGBUILDs for the next version of GNOME earlier in the cycle. A lot of the time there won't be huge changes, and they particularly don't change much from beta to final release. We can submit them to AUR as *-devel. Then when it comes around for a dev to package them, he can see changes in dependencies etc and can check package quality (malicious commands etc), instead of having to find out why each package isn't building. Just taking a bit of the work off the devs

We could then try to get GNOME pkgs up on release day like KDE!

just a thought

#7 2009-03-23 19:42:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

alex_anthony wrote:

A group of users could start writing PKGBUILDs for the next version of GNOME earlier in the cycle. A lot of the time there won't be huge changes, and they particularly don't change much from beta to final release. We can submit them to AUR as *-devel. Then when it comes around for a dev to package them, he can see changes in dependencies etc and can check package quality (malicious commands etc), instead of having to find out why each package isn't building. Just taking a bit of the work off the devs

just a thought

KDE got ready in days because 4.0 and 4.1 were development releases. There was over a year of packages breaking constantly to get it release ready. We don't have that "luxury" with Gnome.

For everyone:

The fact is that Gnome 2.26 has been out for a week. History has shown that every upstream breakage will be blamed on Arch by some user or another (or 1000). If it takes 10 or 14 days to get into the repos, so what? ABS exists and adjusting PKGBUILDs usually isn't that difficult.

#8 2009-03-23 20:43:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Oh yes,

alex_anthony, I think that your idea of a community driven Gnome testing area is a good one. I know that some people were running subversion builds for both KDE4 and XFCE4 before, but I'm not sure that it needs to be that extensive. The Gnome project releases development tarballs pretty frequently and on a schedule. If the goal is to get ready for a major release, the simplest way is to start building when tarballs are labeled .90 and up. For instance, I put evince-gtk in AUR when the development tarball hit 2.25.91. I started building at 2.25.90.

A pure development branch may work too. The only major issue that people may run into is that there are some pretty low level libraries that Gnome gets built against (glib2 for instance). One needs to be careful to rebuild other things that depend on those libraries.

#9 2009-03-23 22:12:02

Odysseus

Will epiphany use webkit?

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

#10 2009-03-23 22:34:47

ise
Developer
Website

Odysseus wrote:

No, it was delayed to 2.27 release. epiphany still use gecko in this release.

#11 2009-03-23 22:59:10

Pierre
Developer
Website

Funny, didn't they delay it on 2.22 and 2.24, too?

#12 2009-03-24 03:22:23

Odysseus

ise wrote:
Odysseus wrote:

Aww.  That's okay.  The epiphany-webkit package in AUR is oprhaned and I've been thinking about adopting it.  'Bout time I gave something back.

I'm the type to fling myself headlong through the magical wardrobe, and then incinerate the ornate mahogany portal behind me with a Molotov cocktail.

#13 2009-03-24 03:57:22

sand_man

Is it just me or does epiphany+webkit suck anyway?

neutral

#14 2009-03-24 04:41:59

tjtag

evolution 2.26 is working well for me, from the tesing repo..good job devs...

#15 2009-03-24 10:02:50

steve-e

Odysseus wrote:
ise wrote:
Odysseus wrote:

Aww.  That's okay.  The epiphany-webkit package in AUR is oprhaned and I've been thinking about adopting it.  'Bout time I gave something back.

Go for it! wink

#16 2009-03-24 10:25:40

viktor

sand_man wrote:

Is it just me or does epiphany+webkit suck anyway?

it does. it starts up slowly and freezes for seconds after each action taken

Last edited by viktor (2009-03-24 10:30:19)

#17 2009-03-24 10:44:25

linfan

Thanx for a wonderful thread.

I wonder if pulseaudio will be implemented in the archlinux release of gnome 2.26.

#18 2009-03-24 11:06:53

psych

linfan wrote:

Thanx for a wonderful thread.

I wonder if pulseaudio will be implemented in the archlinux release of gnome 2.26.

A very interesting question... pulseaudio is really nice!!! But not well integrated in gnome 2.24 and Arch...

Sorry for my bad English

#19 2009-03-24 11:13:36

wonder
Developer
Website

i think jgc has mention that if pulse audio is an optional depedency he wouldn't integrate in gnome.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 66#p516666

Last edited by wonder (2009-03-24 11:20:01)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#20 2009-03-24 14:02:55

linfan

In http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Lo … 7111.shtml I read:

First Look: GNOME 2.26
Includes hot new features and updated applications.
____

PulseAudio is now the default audio input/output framework. One of its most powerful features is the ability to control applications' volume independently. This tool is sure to be very useful in many scenarios. Furthermore, rerouting sound devices is now made in real time, thanks to plug-and-play support. And don't worry, if you still use GStreamer, its mixer is still available and received a new sound theme tab.
________

But I am too unexperienced to understand the width of pulseaudio - I guess the soundserver involves other than gnome apps as well.

But we'll see what will come :-)

#21 2009-03-25 07:29:26

praka123
Website

pulseaudio and low sound volume(especially HDA-Intel cards)  are an existing issue in most distributions.
there was  a patch awaiting upstream fixing this issue(hopefully) which may have been part of 2.6.29 kernel.

just for information purpose only wink

#22 2009-03-25 09:25:05

JGC
Developer

alex_anthony wrote:

just a thought

Good idea. We used to have that when I wasn't a developer: it was me who made those packages.
Now I'm a dev and maintain mozilla-*, xorg and GNOME. We already have xorg-server 1.6 sitting in testing, which had more priority than getting gnome 2.25.90 in the repositories.
Sometimes I have to make choices. Getting a GNOME beta release packaged was not high priority, users can wait for a week or two.

As for pulseaudio: I won't implement it. Adding pulseaudio to gnome-applets and gnome-settings-daemon means that pulseaudio is a forced dependency. If pulse isn't running, you won't have sound or volume control. I compiled gnome-applets with the gstreamer mixer and patched gnome-settings-daemon to use gstreamer instead of pulse for volume control using multimedia keys.

Last edited by JGC (2009-03-25 09:27:39)

#23 2009-03-26 04:14:31

jiu

As for pulseaudio: I won't implement it. Adding pulseaudio to gnome-applets and gnome-settings-daemon means that pulseaudio is a forced dependency. If pulse isn't running, you won't have sound or volume control. I compiled gnome-applets with the gstreamer mixer and patched gnome-settings-daemon to use gstreamer instead of pulse for volume control using multimedia keys.

Great news to me! I don't know much about how pulse audio is supposed to work but I really hate not having sound because of a buggy app. Maybe in a year's time it'll be worth putting back in. Thanks Jan

#24 2009-03-26 04:27:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

If JGC also likes the idea of a community sponsored test bed for Gnome stuff, then I think that a new discussion on just that subject would be a good thing. If some of you are interested, let's open up a new thread to get a clean start.

#25 2009-03-26 06:24:27

Berseker

JGC wrote:
alex_anthony wrote:

just a thought

Good idea. We used to have that when I wasn't a developer: it was me who made those packages.
Now I'm a dev and maintain mozilla-*, xorg and GNOME. We already have xorg-server 1.6 sitting in testing, which had more priority than getting gnome 2.25.90 in the repositories.
Sometimes I have to make choices. Getting a GNOME beta release packaged was not high priority, users can wait for a week or two.

gnome-applets and gnome-settings-daemon are the only two packages concerining the pulse-audio question?

I'd like to know because surely I'll de-patch them myself, as I'm using Pulseaudio for a while and I'm happy with it.

Btw I agree for this decision, in fact many people don't use already PA or they have some (big) problems with it.

Board footer