You are not logged in.

#201 2009-04-08 12:33:37

uastasi

Re: Gnome 2.26 Discussion

Leye wrote:

Hi,

here's an issue that I have after upgrading to 2.26:

Nautilus and Brasero--that CD/DVD burn application--seem to be thrown together, that is, whenever I start a Nautilus browser, both Gnome-Do's Docky and the GNOME-globalmenu "thinks" that it is Brasero. Docky shows Brasero's icon, and GNOME-globalmenu claims the title to be "Brasero [...]". Does anyone else experience this? Though nothing is broken, it surely is a weird bug. yikes

I've reinstalled Archlinux recently, and I remember that I first installed GNOME 2.24 because the new one wasn't available yet, and some days later, I've upgraded to 2.26. I wonder if this might be the reason?

Same situation for me. I've tried to update gnome-globalmenu but it fails with new vala 0.7. I will wait since it's a small issue.
Did you also encountered problems with docky's "Allow Window Overlap" feature?

Till the last battle, till the last bottle.
aur - twitter

#202 2009-04-08 14:33:25

Leye

@ uastasi:
There is something wrong with Docky at me, too, but could you explain further what exactly you encounter? As for me, if Docky stays open all the time (that is, doesn't hide), a small area above it isn't usable. For instance, I cannot use the lower part of the scrollbar that extens into that area and cannot press any button that stands in that area. First I have to drag the window elsewhere for the buttons to be clickable.

Good to know that I'm not the only one. wink

EDIT
Oh, and there's something else (though I'm not sure to what extent this is a problem): If I open up Gconf-editor and tell Nautilus not to show the desktop, my pointer indicates that the computer is working on something for a very long time (think of Window's sandglass big_smile). As far as I get it, GNOME behaves normally, but something hidden must be occupying it.

This doesn't happen if I use another DE as a substitute, for instance, my present desktop with Openbox.

Last edited by Leye (2009-04-08 14:36:49)

#203 2009-04-08 15:05:59

uastasi

Leye wrote:

@ uastasi:
There is something wrong with Docky at me, too, but could you explain further what exactly you encounter? As for me, if Docky stays open all the time (that is, doesn't hide), a small area above it isn't usable. For instance, I cannot use the lower part of the scrollbar that extens into that area and cannot press any button that stands in that area. First I have to drag the window elsewhere for the buttons to be clickable.

EDIT
Oh, and there's something else (though I'm not sure to what extent this is a problem): If I open up Gconf-editor and tell Nautilus not to show the desktop, my pointer indicates that the computer is working on something for a very long time (think of Window's sandglass big_smile). As far as I get it, GNOME behaves normally, but something hidden must be occupying it.

This doesn't happen if I use another DE as a substitute, for instance, my present desktop with Openbox.

An image is better than a thousand of words. As you can see Firefox goes behind docky, while it should be automatically resized. I am using gnome-do-bzr.
schermatao.th.png

aur - twitter

#204 2009-04-08 21:39:34

ShodanjoDM

uastasi wrote:

Same situation for me. I've tried to update gnome-globalmenu but it fails with new vala 0.7. I will wait since it's a small issue.

It works with vala 0.6. I had to downgrade it first before compiling, then reinstall vala 0.7 afterward.

#205 2009-04-09 04:36:11

emily

JGC wrote:

As for pulseaudio: I won't implement it. Adding pulseaudio to gnome-applets and gnome-settings-daemon means that pulseaudio is a forced dependency. If pulse isn't running, you won't have sound or volume control. I compiled gnome-applets with the gstreamer mixer and patched gnome-settings-daemon to use gstreamer instead of pulse for volume control using multimedia keys.

It is a common misconception that pulseaudio follows the standard conventions of daemons in that it needs to be started and run at a system level in order to provide its function. However, unless you are using it as a central sound server or have multiple people signed into a machine using the sound at once somehow, it does not need to be started via its initialisation script or other such method in order to be used, and will automatically start and begin working when it is called upon to play sound. This is because you set something to play sound via pulse audio, a daemon will be spawned automatically so long as the user is within the pulse-access group. This behaviour is mentioned on the site and I can confirm its truth.

Being a user of pulseaudio since it provides not only good quality audio mixing to my card which lacks multiple hardware channels, but also advanced features such as turning the volume of individual applications down, it is quite disheartening to see it dismissed out of misunderstanding and discounted most hastily with uninformed malice. Not everyone requires it, of course, but diverging GNOME from a vanilla status by patching it out easily challenges the foundation set by Arch of distributing vanilla packages to its user base which I have both witnessed and heard professed from other forum members and developers. Do as you will in the end, but I implore you to try things out before an utter dismissal, or at least provide alternative packages which bolster support for the native pulse audio integration promised to us in GNOME 2.26. Cheers.

EDIT: Pending whatever decision, I would like to make note that for those of you out there wanting the new pulse audio integration, you will also have to recompile gnome-media whilst pulseaudio is installed. You may also have to recompile gnome-control-center without the gstreamer flag, but I am not 100% certain about this since I did both at once and the result was produced. Regardless, once done the old volume applet goes away and the new volume control is a system tray icon instead of an applet. Cheers.

gnome226pulse.th.png

Last edited by emily (2009-04-09 05:51:35)

#206 2009-04-09 07:04:51

Leye

Hi emily,

I've also heard of pulseaudio being added to GNOME, and after I've read your post, I'm interested in trying out it myself. You'd do me a great favor if you could tell me how to do it, since honestly, I'm still not very familiar with altered PKGBUILDs. Would you tell me how you have done it? I'd love to learn that feature of pacman. smile

As for the Docky bug, uastasi, I'll check whether it appears at me but I'm not using GNOME currently. I'll look at it as soon as I can.

#207 2009-04-09 07:22:32

paulez

Emily, have you managed to switch audio stream between sound cards with the gnome pulseaudio applet ? It is the feature I am missing from pavucontrol.

I agree that Pulseaudio is the future of sound in Linux, because it makes managing surround sound and multiple sound cards really easier than with only Alsa. Furthermore for simple configurations (2 channels audio and one sound card, no needs for managing multiple stream) it brings glitch-free playback, even though there are some problems with it yet.

So I think its integration into extra should be discussed.

#208 2009-04-09 07:40:00

smurfd

evolution appears to put every mail in /tmp filling that up quite quickly.. hopefully it also puts the mail in my mailbox. anyone knows of this !?!

--- edit
or is it beagle?!

--- edit

yes it was beagle. after killing all beagle processes i did not have my /tmp filled up with 100 000 files a minute...
--- edit
> beagle-config --version
beagle-config: Command-line interface to the Beagle config file.
Web page: http://www.beagle-project.org/
Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Novell, Inc. and others
Beagle: 0.3.8
Mono: Mono 2.4

Last edited by smurfd (2009-04-09 08:07:03)

#209 2009-04-09 08:11:30

WladyX

Hi,
Any ideeas on this bug: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69396
Thanks.

Last edited by WladyX (2009-04-09 08:11:46)

#210 2009-04-09 08:20:32

emily

paulez wrote:

Emily, have you managed to switch audio stream between sound cards with the gnome pulseaudio applet ? It is the feature I am missing from pavucontrol.

I would love to try that, but unfortunately I only have one sound card in my laptop. >_> Cheers.

#211 2009-04-09 08:30:26

hubutz

uastasi wrote:
Leye wrote:

@ uastasi:

EDIT

An image is better than a thousand of words. As you can see Firefox goes behind docky, while it should be automatically resized. I am using gnome-do-bzr.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9312 … tao.th.png

what's the name of that dock? Can't find Docky wheter in the reports nor in the AUR and it looks cute!

#212 2009-04-09 08:35:09

smurfd

its part of gnome-do

#213 2009-04-09 08:46:19

Alxe

hubutz wrote:
uastasi wrote:
Leye wrote:

@ uastasi:

EDIT

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9312 … tao.th.png

what's the name of that dock? Can't find Docky wheter in the reports nor in the AUR and it looks cute!

Docky is a theme for GNOME-Do smile

Arch64

#214 2009-04-09 08:57:54

hubutz

ahh... thanks

#215 2009-04-09 13:54:10

emily

Leye wrote:

Hi emily,

I've also heard of pulseaudio being added to GNOME, and after I've read your post, I'm interested in trying out it myself. You'd do me a great favor if you could tell me how to do it, since honestly, I'm still not very familiar with altered PKGBUILDs. Would you tell me how you have done it? I'd love to learn that feature of pacman. smile

As for the Docky bug, uastasi, I'll check whether it appears at me but I'm not using GNOME currently. I'll look at it as soon as I can.

Here are the PKGBUILDs I used, cleaned up a bit via the addition of pulseaudio as a build and runtime dependency. I have heard that mediafire does not cater to some areas of the world, but I cannot be arsed to host it somewhere else.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hwhqtltg35g

Along with removing the gstreamer mixer patch, I also removed some other patch originally found in gnome-applets because it did not seem to negatively affect anything. I could be wrong though, so feel free to report any troubles.  Cheers. =]

#216 2009-04-09 14:41:31

uastasi

Leye wrote:

Hi,

Nautilus and Brasero--that CD/DVD burn application--seem to be thrown together, that is, whenever I start a Nautilus browser, both Gnome-Do's Docky and the GNOME-globalmenu "thinks" that it is Brasero. Docky shows Brasero's icon, and GNOME-globalmenu claims the title to be "Brasero [...]". Does anyone else experience this? Though nothing is broken, it surely is a weird bug. yikes

I've reinstalled Archlinux recently, and I remember that I first installed GNOME 2.24 because the new one wasn't available yet, and some days later, I've upgraded to 2.26. I wonder if this might be the reason?

A bug has been filled for gnome-globalmenu
http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalm … ail?id=386

aur - twitter

#217 2009-04-11 14:40:18

frashman

bug fixed for me now ...
thx

#218 2009-04-11 17:30:38

polslinux
Website

why GPM isn't at version 2.26???

#219 2009-04-11 17:45:42

Fackamato

polslinux wrote:

why GPM isn't at version 2.26???

I guess you mean GDM. I dunno. roll

Modify the package from ABS for GDM, here's the source: http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gdm/2.26/

#220 2009-04-11 18:39:25

mak
Website

...actuallly both g-p-m [gnome-power-manager] and gdm aren't up-to-date as of yet.

updating g-p-m leads to some unwanted problems, like dpms-functionality not working properly. updating gdm seems to be even trickier. tried this yesterday and ran into quite a bunch of difficulties, however it looked quite nicely. ;]

$ wget -c -r -l inf -i what_the_hel.l

#221 2009-04-12 19:02:49

uastasi

uastasi wrote:
Leye wrote:

Hi,

A bug has been filled for gnome-globalmenu
http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalm … ail?id=386

Bug resolved with latest svn
As regards gnome-do it has been fixed with 1129 bzr.

aur - twitter

#222 2009-04-12 21:06:18

polslinux
Website

mak wrote:

...actuallly both g-p-m [gnome-power-manager] and gdm aren't up-to-date as of yet.

updating g-p-m leads to some unwanted problems, like dpms-functionality not working properly. updating gdm seems to be even trickier. tried this yesterday and ran into quite a bunch of difficulties, however it looked quite nicely. ;]

i've compile and install GPM 2.26 and i have no bugs..... xD

#223 2009-04-13 00:30:37

z.s.tar.gz

Does anyone have video lag? I can't tell if it is ATI, X, or Metacity

I need to find a way out so everyone can find their way out.
Resregietd Lunix Uesr: 485581

#224 2009-04-13 00:58:44

ozar

Perhaps it's only my imagination, but it seems to me that Gnome 2.26 feels faster than previous releases.

oz

#225 2009-04-13 09:56:32

moljac024

Is anyone else having issues with gnome-screensaver outside of gnome ? I'm using that with openbox, but it seems not to be able to detect idle time anymore. I remember this same thing popping up with the update to 2.24, but the problem then was that it needed a dbus-session to work (as opposed to the 2.22 version, which didn't) so I've been starting a dbus-session along with openbox ever since but with this new update I don't know what the heck more can I be missing... are they adding more and more runtime dependencies for gnome-screensaver to work without adding any new functionality ? It sure looks like that...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer