You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 18:47:51

lswest
Website

Nautilus won't automount USB stick, Thunar will?

Okay, well, this is a new problem that's popped up recently on my laptop.  The problem is when I stick in a USB stick/removable drive, Nautilus doesn't recognize it/display it, or mount it.  I just installed Thunar and thunar-volman, and tried it, and it worked without a hitch, so I'm assuming it's not a HAL/PolicyKit configuration problem (it was working a week ago anyways).  I'm inclined to say it's been caused by a nautilus update, but I'm not sure, since my PC has the same version of nautilus installed and it automounts fine as well, and if anyone has an idea or an easy fix for the problem it would be appreciated.

To sum up:

USB stick is plugged in and:
- HAL recognizes it as /dev/sdb1 (checked using sudo hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes)
- Nautilus displays nothing new in the places sidebar and doesn't mount it
- Mounting manually (via terminal) works
- Mounting as normal user in Thunar works (automount)

I'll just continue using thunar for the time being, but any suggestions would be appreciated,
Lswest

Also, I have a few gconftool-2 tweaks regarding Nautilus I run from openbox, they are as follows:

#Nautilus tweaks
# Disable Nautilus desktop.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &
# Do not let Nautilus set the background image.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &

# Make Nautilus show the advanced permissions dialog 
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_advanced_permissions true &

I doubt any of that should have an impact, but in case it does...

Last edited by lswest (2009-03-23 18:49:11)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#2 2009-03-23 19:07:44

CheesyBeef

Re: Nautilus won't automount USB stick, Thunar will?

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Thunar uses the different volume manager (thunar-volman that you installed) and nautilus uses some gnome utility.

Also, although you said you don't assume it's a policykit problem, try adding (or editing) this to your /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:

<config version="0.1">
    <match user="brian"> <!-- replace with your login or delete the line if you want to allow all users to manipulate devices (keep security issues in mind though) -->
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
                       <return result="yes"/>
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options"> <!-- for internal devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options"> <!-- for external devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
       </match>  <!-- don't forget to delete this line if you deleted the first one -->
</config>

Make sure you change "brian" yo your username, but keep the quotation marks.

Last edited by CheesyBeef (2009-03-23 19:08:43)

#3 2009-03-23 19:11:23

lswest
Website

I appreciate the quick response!  I've already added that to my PolicyKit.conf file though, and I've created the preferences.fdi file suggested in the HAL wiki.

I realize that Thunar and Nautilus use different volume managers, but they do still use the same backend (HAL & PolicyKit), do they not?  I may try removing and re-installing gnome-volume-manager in a few minutes (homework first).

Regards,
Lswest

Removing gnome-volume-manager and re-installing it from a freshly downloaded package didn't help at all.

Last edited by lswest (2009-03-23 19:27:24)

"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#4 2009-03-23 23:14:08

my0pic

The latest hal update is the culprit here. I downgraded from hal 0.5.11-7 to hal 0.5.11-4 and nautilus worked again for me.

#5 2009-03-24 06:31:22

lswest
Website

my0pic wrote:

The latest hal update is the culprit here. I downgraded from hal 0.5.11-7 to hal 0.5.11-4 and nautilus worked again for me.

Great, I'll give it a shot once I turn my laptop on today, I'll edit this post with the result.  Still curious if it will work since my PC has hal 0.5.11-7 and nautilus 2.24.2-1 and it's all working fine, but I'll post back if it does.

Thanks,
Lswest

Downgrading didn't help, and my PC can still (I just double-checked) mount in Nautilus without issues (same versions installed, packages linked to that are all the same versions from the same server).  It's really bizarre.

Last edited by lswest (2009-03-24 17:04:28)

Board footer