You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 01:20:44

jeremyrainman

Gnome settings do not take, and gnome-settings-manager breaks things.

I just updated my Arch install. I hadn't done a full system upgrade since December (I think). The install went fine as far as I can tell. It broke my xorg.conf again, but it always does that, no biggie.

My biggest fight seems to be with the gnome-settings-manager. I am now getting no icons in the menus, the mouse runs extremely slow and the only way to get it to run at a normal tracking speed is to use the KDE 'systemsettings' to change it (bizarre). Also, any desktop background that I assign is essentially covered over on startup with a background color and I cannot (using any settings program in the menus) actually put something there. I'm sure there's just some confusion over what is in control of the desktop and which config file is being used, but I cannot find any other mention of this issue in the forums, and forcefully re-installing gnome has yielded no help. I also moved all my '.gnome' dirs under home to some other location, and this made no difference.

Some info:

# pacman -Q gnome-applets gnome-desktop gnome-settings-daemon gnome-session
gnome-applets 2.24.3.1-1
gnome-desktop 2.24.3-1
gnome-settings-daemon 2.24.1-1
gnome-session 2.24.3-1

When I run gnome-mouse-properties from a command line, I see this:

Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

Then, when I try to change the mouse acceleration:

(gnome-mouse-properties:7165): capplet-common-WARNING **: Unable to find a default value for key for /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/motion_acceleration.
I'll assume it is an integer, but that may break things.
Please be sure that the associated schema is installed

(gnome-mouse-properties:7165): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_get_float: assertion `value->type == GCONF_VALUE_FLOAT' failed

(gnome-mouse-properties:7165): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_get_float: assertion `value->type == GCONF_VALUE_FLOAT' failed

Any ideas?

#2 2009-03-24 12:59:11

byte

Re: Gnome settings do not take, and gnome-settings-manager breaks things.

Try moving your .gconf directory.

#3 2009-03-24 23:35:45

Liquen

Just a note: the Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0" messages are probably unrelated with the main problem. See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13223.

#4 2009-03-25 01:10:22

jiu

Just to reinforce what byte said: I had similar problems and moving .gconf worked. If it doesn't, you can also try moving .gnome2. And then if you are versed in the edition of gnome settings files, you can search and repair the faulty ones. If not (like me)... start from scratch, delete the moved dir.

It would be great if the gnome devs simplified the format of settings files (make it more like rc.conf!) and made it so they don't break so often. Maybe a system a la windows where previous versions of the registry get saved. Then upon breakage one could just bring up the last working version. Of course the best thing would be for the settings to not get corrupted in the first place.

#5 2009-03-27 01:08:44

jeremyrainman

I thought I mentioned that I had already tried moving both the .gnome and .gnome2 and the gnome2_private directories, and this issue still persists. Any thoughts?

Board footer