You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 14:49:08

snack

digiKam doesn't start

Hello everyone, I installed digikam from extra, but it doesn't start even if the installation went fine. The error I get is:

$ digikam
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
digikam(3290) Digikam::DigikamFirstRun::DigikamFirstRun: "/home/user"
digikam: symbol lookup error: digikam: undefined symbol: _Z13qFlagLocationPKc

The Xlib error on the first line appears frequently also in other application such as Eclipse, but it doesn't affect their behavior noticeably, so I think the problem is in the last line.
I run KDEmod on Arch i686.

Thanks everyone for the help!

#2 2009-03-24 15:19:05

dwende

Re: digiKam doesn't start

I have exact same problem.

#3 2009-03-25 08:00:28

snack

I found the problem: I was ignoring the new version of qt (4.5.0-3) and keeping the old 4.4.3-5 because the Lancelot launcher do not display anything when one uses the newest qt. I did the update and digikam started to work flawlessly.
Now, the question marks are:
- why Lancelot doesn't like qt 4.5.0-3? Should I open a bug report?
- is there a good reason why pacman didn't warn me about this dependency problem? I was ignoring the updates of qt due to the Lancelot problem, but in my view pacman should at least give a warning when trying to install a package whose dependencies cannot be resolved due to explicit upgrade ignore.

#4 2009-03-25 10:24:01

Rasi
Website

snack wrote:

I found the problem: I was ignoring the new version of qt (4.5.0-3) and keeping the old 4.4.3-5 because the Lancelot launcher do not display anything when one uses the newest qt. I did the update and digikam started to work flawlessly.
Now, the question marks are:
- why Lancelot doesn't like qt 4.5.0-3? Should I open a bug report?
- is there a good reason why pacman didn't warn me about this dependency problem? I was ignoring the updates of qt due to the Lancelot problem, but in my view pacman should at least give a warning when trying to install a package whose dependencies cannot be resolved due to explicit upgrade ignore.

rebuild lancelot? It works fine here using kdemod.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2009-03-25 10:25:59

snack

I'll give it  a try, thanks for the advice. But I can live well also without Lancelot (I put kickoff back), so maybe my laziness will win... smile

#6 2009-03-25 13:23:48

test1000

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#7 2009-03-25 13:53:52

byte

snack wrote:

There was no problem.
Dependency tree goes like this (roughly): digikam -> kdegraphics/kdepimlibs -> kdelibs -> stuff like phonon/soprano/strigi -> qt
So for pacman, there was no qt dependency involved at all for the digikam upgrade.

Last edited by byte (2009-03-25 13:57:36)

#8 2009-03-25 14:05:08

snack

byte wrote:
snack wrote:

There was no problem.
Dependency tree goes like this (roughly): digikam -> kdegraphics/kdepimlibs -> kdelibs -> stuff like phonon/soprano/strigi -> qt
So for pacman, there was no qt dependency involved at all for the digikam upgrade.

Thank you, that restores my full trust in pacman (the main, but not only, reason why I prefer Arch over all that *buntu stuff out there... wink ). But it also means that the rolling release system adopted by Arch is prone to this kind of errors (a very fair trade, in my opinion, since pacman is easily the best package manager I've ever seen).

Board footer