You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 16:59:10

anti-destin

please suggest some apps

hi all,

i'm trying to find in advance all the applications i'll need so that my transition is smooth and uneventful. i've already done a search and i think i have a fairly good idea in some cases of which programs to use, but i'm always interested in hearing what you think. any suggestions would be appreciated.

essentially, i'm looking for the linux equivalents of:

7-zip:
small and simple compression program. what do you use?

bestpractice (http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/):
it's a simple application that allows me to split, modulate, etc. music files so i can transcribe or practice songs. is there anything like this for arch?

foobar2000:
i know this has been asked many times, but i'm wondering if there are any programs with the following features:
-mass tagging (so i can remove tags from multiple files at once)
-fix vbr headers
-programmable hotkeys
-foobar-style shuffle (internal randomized list of tracks)
-small, light, fast (especially when it comes to loading directories)
-tabbed playlists
-noise sharpening plugin

k-meleon:
just looking for something lean and fast. i think i've settled on midori, but i don't like the accelerators (i'd rather use ctrl + tab and ctrl + shift + tab to change tabs) and there's no accelerators file to edit.

miranda:
i think i've settled on pidgin, but i'm planning on using either pidgin-light or pidgin-mini. what's the difference between them? which one is smaller? do i use pacman to install them?

office 2007:
openoffice is too large and unwieldy for me. i'm looking for something simple, and i think abiword and gnumeric should be fine. and i suppose i could always load a vm to use office 2007. do you have any better suggestions here?

file manager:
thunar-light is probably the best for me, but i'm not sure how to install it. do i use pacman?

thanks again!

#2 2009-03-24 17:08:12

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: please suggest some apps

You should have a look at the Common Apps Wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Apps

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2009-03-24 17:12:20

Procyon

7-zip : it is in [extra] as p7zip, I dunno about GUIs, but atool is a nice CLI frontend.
mass tagging : easytag
music player : I don't even know what the other stuff means, but I'd give mpd and its clients a try (go check out screenshots at the mpd wiki)
fast browser : look at the midori thread on the forums. Also try out firefox-pgo

#4 2009-03-24 20:40:54

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

For 7-zip GUI you have PeaZip but it will take you a while to get all the dependencies from aur to get it working (at least it took me a while when I gave it a try).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2009-03-24 21:10:46

Killa B
Website

7-zip
For general compression, I actually just use tar. (e.g. tar -cjf output.tar.bz2 input/).
For 7z compression you can use p7zip.

foobar2000:
- I don't usually use GUI music players, but you might want to check out some of the MPD Clients on this page (the GTK+ and Qt sections)

k-meleon:
- I can't stand K-Meleon, but it's comparable to Kazehakase (which I also can't stand)

miranda:
Pidgin. wink

i think i've settled on pidgin, but i'm planning on using either pidgin-light or pidgin-mini. what's the difference between them?

No damn clue what the difference is. We only have vanilla Pidgin AFAIK.

do i use pacman to install them?

yes:

pacman -S pidgin

file manager:
I use Thunar, and I like it. I also hear good things about PCManFM, the default file manager of LXDE.

thunar-light is probably the best for me,

Again, not a clue what thunar-light is. Just use Thunar. tongue

but i'm not sure how to install it. do i use pacman?

You use pacman to install pretty much everything.

pacman -S thunar

#6 2009-03-24 21:26:43

Wintervenom

7zip:  Xarchiver, Squeeze (Xfce), File Roller (GNOME)
bestpractice:  Audacity

foobar2000:  Audacious + Plugins
Foobar2000 also works very nicely in Wine, with media keys, "open with" in file manger, etc.

miranda:  I don't see a -mini, but -light says it comes "without gstreamer, tcl, tk, [and] xscreensaver support."  Install with Yaourt or by downloading and $(makepkg).

file manager:
See miranda.  Also, maybe you might like PCManFM (LXDE).

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-03-24 21:27:28)

#7 2009-03-25 02:52:16

anti-destin

thanks for the replies!

bernarcher, that's a good page.

procyon and r00kie, i don't need to use 7zip per se. i'm just looking for a light program that can open zip, rar, etc. for this, xarchiver looks nice.

what's the reason to use mpd + a client rather say, say, audacious or goggles?

killa b, pidgin-light and pidgin-mini are stripped down versions of pidgin. see here:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19673
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20712

but i just saw that pidgin-light has been marked as outdated, so i'll just use pidgin-mini.

thunar-light is the stripped down version of thunar: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24478

thank you, wintervenom. i just looked into yaourt and it seems like a really easy way to install programs.

as for pcmanfm, i've tried it out before, but i settled on thunar because the light version seems smaller.

i think at this point i have a good sense of what i want to use, except when it comes to music. there are so many alternatives. it'll take me some time to find one that's lightweight and simple.

#8 2009-03-25 04:28:07

Berticus

mpd is a server, so it'll keep playing even when X crashes. Additional, as a server it allows multiple connections to control it remotely either on the intranet or internet. With multiple clients, you can use different programs for different purposes, albeit most people use one client. The only issues preventing me from using it is it databases music, it can't browse the file system, and I heard it's not all that secure.

Last edited by Berticus (2009-03-25 04:31:23)

#9 2009-03-25 05:01:37

sand_man

I've recently been using moc which also acts as a server and is independant of X. No last.fm support though (that I know of).

neutral

#10 2009-03-25 05:49:00

adamlau

Strip out  what you feel you do not need yourself, you can easily build lighter versions of AUR 'light' packages. My Thunar and Pidgin builds are both leaner than the AUR versions. Yours can be too.

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#11 2009-03-25 05:49:52

Berticus

sand_man, to use last.fm, you use lastfmsubmitd, and in the config file, use OnSongChange to call it:

http://moc.daper.net/node/233

#12 2009-03-25 15:36:20

anti-destin

thanks, berticus, for that clear explanation.

adamlau, that's precisely what i'd like to do. is there a guide that explains how to do that? how do i know what is safe to remove?

#13 2009-03-25 17:02:52

Ronin-Sage
Website

As far as office suites go, Lotus Symphony looks interesting(based off of OO, but with a rather Office 2007-ish facelift), although I can't for the life of me get the .deb/.rpm installed on Arch.

Board footer