You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 23:54:30

milomouse
Website

Getting Fluxbox or xfce to run properly (Slim login failing)

I'm under some time constraints with being online but really wanted to throw a question out there that I'm having issues with. I did a fresh install of Archlinux a couple days ago and was installing packages I already knew I wanted for when I set up a WM or "gui desktop" type of deal (the whole time I've been using console).

Now, I'm new to Archlinux and setting things up like this (I've been using openSUSE for the past few years so I've been pretty jaded by the ease of installing through programs like Yast and other distros with Synaptic). I downloaded Xorg and did the few set-up steps found on the Archlinux Tutorials site and then downloaded the base for Xfce4 so I could have something to tinker around with for when I used Fluxbox (downloaded that as well). Total newbie to this, remember. Anyway, I installed Slim and everything seemed to look good in the .conf file so I put it on DAEMON to start up and when I go to reboot it loads the pretty Slim login screen but everytime I try logging in it gives says Exec login failed and the screen goes black and starts again; repeating this loop until I manually kill it.

[edit] Also installed my graphic card driver. (xf86-video-ati)

Sooo, this is my issue. I try starting Fluxbox or Xfce that way but it refuses to login; I try starting fluxbox by doing something like "startfluxbox" but it says it cannot find the command. When I do "startxfce" it loads Xfce and I can see the desktop but I can't do anything. The mouse is frozen and the keyboard is frozen. I made sure to download X11 keyboard and mouse input and the mouse and keyboard work just fine on the Slim login screen, but like I said, attempting to login with Slim doesn't work for me. I'm sorry I'm so vague and befuddled sounding but I really don't know how else to explain it.

I went through all the Beginner Files on the tutorial site, the Xorg tutorial, the Xfce tutorial, tried the Fluxbox one but it just says how to download it and run it (which I already know but is of no use if I can't RUN it); also read the "after the install guide",  and the GRUB guide. I simply cannot -access- anything out of the console with a gui display. I know I'm doing something wrong and don't know what. Sorry again for being so confusing. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

EDIT: Null this post. I recently purchased a new laptop so the issue is no longer valid. Thanks

Last edited by milomouse (2009-04-11 19:30:40)

#2 2009-03-25 02:52:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Getting Fluxbox or xfce to run properly (Slim login failing)

For the problem with mouse and keyboard not working:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … server_1.5

or install xf86-input-evdev. Depends on what you're after.

The startfluxbox thing. Hmmm? If you have it installed properly, that command should be there. But, if you're trying to start it with slim or startx, you'll need 'exec fluxbox' in ~/.xinitrc anyway.

#3 2009-03-25 05:55:24

ShinChyn

Re: Getting Fluxbox or xfce to run properly (Slim login failing)

Enn, I guess it is hotplug issue in xorg also.

I have encountered that the first time I install xorg and config it with xorgconfig.

Board footer