You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-25 23:02:40

dyscoria

Custom kernel - cdparanoia causes hard freeze

Basically, when using cdparanoia to rip a CD ('cdparanoia --search-for-drive --abort-on-skip --batch --output-wav --force-read-speed 4') it works fine, but killing with CTRL-C causes a strange system freeze on my custom kernel (both 2.6.28.8 and 2.6.29). I say strange because everything but the power button is unresponsive, but when using a text terminal in runlevel 3 the cursor continues to blink... which leads me to think the system is still 'running' but the kernel is stuck, maybe waiting for something to happen that doesn't actually get round to happening (so everything else hangs).

On the default kernel it works fine.

I've been twiddling kernel options here and there and recompiling is getting tiresome. I'm going to slog on, but wanted to post a thread on the offchance that someone has crossed this before and can tell me what the hell is going on tongue

Annoyingly, nothing turns up in the logs.

uname wrote:

Linux 2.6.28.8-r8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 24 15:14:56 GMT 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

/proc/scsi/scsi wrote:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: TOSHIBA MK1646GS Rev: LB11
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PBDS     Model: DVD+-RW DS-8W1P  Rev: BD1B
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

Here is my kernel config (not that I expect anyone to browse through it)

Last edited by dyscoria (2009-03-25 23:35:25)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#2 2009-03-27 11:55:33

dyscoria

Re: Custom kernel - cdparanoia causes hard freeze

OK so i've wasted a lot of time, because apparently it causes a hard freeze on the default kernel too (which I didn't think was the case before).

Nothing to do with the kernel then (hmm better check with older Arch default kernel versions), so could be a cd drive problem that has recently developed or a bug in cdparanoia? Off to find out....

edit: EUREKA!! It was my cdparanoia command line options causing this mess. Apparently it doesn't like "--search-for-drive", so I changed it to "--force-cdrom-drive /dev/scd0" and it works without hitch now cool

Last edited by dyscoria (2009-03-27 12:13:34)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

Board footer