You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-26 00:15:32

Pierre-Alexandre

Laptop and external monitor

Hello folks,

I have a Dell Vostro 1500  laptop running KDEmod 4.2 and equipped with a Nvidia 8600M GT card attached to a screen with maximum resolution 1200x800.  I recently made the aquisition of a Acer 19´'  monitor with default resolution 1400x900. I have a few queries regarding this particular setup case:

1) I set in Nvidia-config both screens as 'additional X screens'. I tried setting it to twinview, but my laptop didnt accept it and it's resolution is now bigger than the screen. Now, the way it's set up, it works alright. The output shows great on my external monitor. It's also enabled on my laptop although all I see is the default blue wallpaper, the widget button (no taskbar, no nothing) - I dont have a desktop there.

However, as soon as I unplug it nothing happens.  I need to restart X. Then, my default screen is now my laptop's. Thing is, I can get to the login screen without any resolution problem.  However, passed that point, KDE 4.2 starts and immediately crashes, saying 'Plasma desktop'crashed (fatal). I get a black screen, which does not change.

Is there a way to

1) Autodetect when I unplug the external monitor so the computer switches to my laptop screen and sowithout crashing?

2) Disable my laptop's screen when I am not using it?

Thanks for your input

Pierre-Alexandre

Board footer