You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-26 15:16:12

christian

[SOLVED] Non english chars kdemod 4 problem

Hello, I have a little problem with KDE and the non english charactes.

If I open a file with non english chars in its name I get something like this:

Test1.png
(In this case kwrite opens "other" file but in other applications it fails with an error of file not found)

Other sympton is that in KDE menu my name have bad chars too:

Test2.png
(It must be López)

And the third sympton is that if try to rename a file in the desktop, I can't write accented chars (á é í ó ú). At the begining the keyboard in this rename dialog was totally in english but i have got a semi spanish keyboard (i can write ñ letters) with the apropiate /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi file.

But the most strange is that in general, in all Kde and non-kde applications and even in the console, non english chars works ok. I can go to the file->Open menu of the application and open a file with non english chars in its name. The problem seems to reside in the part of kde that passes the name of the file to the application (¿kwin?)

my locale is es_ES@UTF8 and as I said I have configured correctly the 10-keymap.fdi file.

I have read in some forums that something like this could be a kde or qt bug, but for me it's not clear as i don't see a general complaining about this.

Any idea will be apreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Christian.

Last edited by christian (2009-03-27 14:52:17)

#2 2009-03-26 22:21:45

gyako

Re: [SOLVED] Non english chars kdemod 4 problem

I'm having the same problem here.

#3 2009-03-27 10:24:11

christian

Hello, gyako.

Just to try to find where the problem is:
- What desktop do you use: Kdemod, kde, other...?
- What locales do you use?
- When you noted the problem?
- Are your problems EXACTLY as mines or do you have any difference?

Cheers,

Christian.

#4 2009-03-27 10:50:42

SanskritFritz
Website

christian wrote:

my locale is es_ES@UTF8 and as I said I have configured correctly the 10-keymap.fdi file.

That should be "es_ES.utf8"

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#5 2009-03-27 11:06:06

christian

SanskritFritz wrote:

That should be "es_ES.utf8"

Sorry, i mispelled it in the post.
Of course, my locale is es_ES.utf8:

LANG=es_ES.utf8
LC_CTYPE="es_ES.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.utf8"
LC_TIME="es_ES.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="es_ES.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.utf8"
LC_PAPER="es_ES.utf8"
LC_NAME="es_ES.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.utf8"
LC_ALL=

I don't think this could be the source of the problem, because, except in the places I said in the firs post, the rest of my system works perfectly.

#6 2009-03-27 12:24:05

mightyjaym

It's a bug in the kdemod-kdelibs package with qt 4.5. It is fixed upstream and in the regular kdelibs package from [extra].

You can either remove kdemod and use the regular kde, or recompile kdemod-kdelibs using the kdelibs patches from ABS.

You can also install my personal patched kdemod-kdelibs package (grab it here : http://jm.ambrosino.free.fr/KDEMod/ )

#7 2009-03-27 13:18:51

christian

Thank you mightyjaym, but after installing your version of kdemod-kdelibs, I still have the same errors. No luck this time :-(

#8 2009-03-27 13:41:14

funkyou
Website

There is no bug in the kdemod-kdelibs package, at least not from our side.
If we have missed a patch or something, file a bug at our tracker and we'll include it asap...

Simple:
[kdemod-core] is built against Qt 4.4.3. Dont use it with Qt 4.5. There is an extra qt-4.3.3 package in [kdemod-core], use that and add qt to the IgnorePkg line in pacman.conf.

If you want to use KDEmod + Qt 4.5.0, then change your repo entry to [kdemod-testing], which contains fixed packages. Also be sure to install the qtmod package when using our testing repo.

Personally i recommend using [kdemod-testing], its fast and i have no visible bugs here.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#9 2009-03-27 14:51:53

christian

Thanks funkyou, that was the problem. I had upgraded Qt since last week and i haven't noticed it. I have just reinstalled the correct Qt package from your repository and all works ok again.

Just one note: I have make a search and realized that it was announced in the forum. I usually didn't visit the forums but I'm subscribed to the news RSS of the web. Please consider using this way too to make the annoncements in the future. I'll try to visit more frecuently the forums anyway.

Thanks.

Board footer