You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 13:40:52

sva_h4cky0
Website

why not using delta pkg.tar.gz?

hello everybody,

im new archlinux user, so i have question.
why archlinux dont using delta pkg.tar.gz packages? opensuse provides updates in delta rpm binary form.
instead re-downloading all new packages, it would be nice to download (update) delta packages only, which is smaller in size. bcoz not every people have unlimited bandwidth and quota.

thanks,

ps: sorry for my poor english

"Am I not good enough for you?"

#2 2009-03-27 14:06:24

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: why not using delta pkg.tar.gz?

We should now have fairly complete delta support in pacman so it will become possible after the next pacman release.

#3 2009-03-27 14:08:49

u_no_hu

Welcome to arch smile

Search the  pacman-dev mailing list for delta and you will find that the idea is in consideration and some work has already been done on that.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#4 2009-03-27 14:26:12

u_no_hu

@Allan .. Is it in usable state? I read the md5sums problem was blocking this.

Is there a way to try that out? If devs can set up a small repository (may be only with  core packages), I will be glad to test/bug fix/( or code wink ). I have a pretty slow connection (75 kbps ....yes it is a small "b" [Dont laugh hmm ]..though 24/7 unlimited.. ) and this is one of the features that i want badly to be implemented in arch.

PS: Just like sva_h4cky0 this was one of my first questions on BBS. And thanks to Shining for all the work he has put into this.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#5 2009-03-27 14:35:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

A lot of the work appears to still be in Xavier's (aka shining) working branch.  You can see it here: http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/xavier/p … ?h=working .

As to the status...  I think it is basically complete with those patches.  You can use the pkgdelta script to create deltas and then add them to a pacman database using repo-add.  Then pacman should download the delta instead of the new package (provided the options is set in pacman.conf).  Look at the pacman-dev list in the last couple of months for discussions about this.

#6 2009-03-28 07:40:29

sva_h4cky0
Website

thanks for quick reply.,. smile

@Allan ... wow thats great news, im happy archlinux user now wink

@u_no_hu ... im on slow connection too big_smile, thats why im asking for delta packages support on archlinux

thanks again,

"Am I not good enough for you?"

Board footer