You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 13:47:39

bwh1969

IBM refurb thinkpad T43

I ran Arch on it and it ran well off of a USB drive (frugal install), (the second day I got it) but I had issues with X crashing and reloading kdm.  I then noticed that it became "flaky" at boot after this and then, it would not boot.  When I tried to boot back into XP, I got the blue screen of death, even when I tried to initialize the recovery process (restore disk).  I could not even boot the distro from CD anymore and I got an ACPI error.  I did manage to run memtest and it did not flag any errors.

XP ran well on the first day, and then some sort of automatic updating occurred.  It still worked after that.

I have been using Linux for years... and my buddy is convinced that running (It was Chakra Live, a version of Arch), somehow crapped out the hardware. 

This IS ridiculous, right?  I mean, even if it corrupted the HD when I mounted it (NTFS), there is no reason I should not be able to boot it with a CD or run the recovery program from the UNMOUNTED recovery partition (from DOS nonetheless).

I can return the thing... but I need some assurance that this is 99.9% a defect (being a refurb) and that there is no possible way an Linux running out of RAM disk off of a USB drive can actually harm the hardware (assuming it didn't keep the thing from overheating by shutting down ACPI/AMP).  It didn't feel/smell hot at any time:-)

Last edited by bwh1969 (2009-03-27 13:49:01)

#2 2009-03-27 22:49:19

evilgold

Re: IBM refurb thinkpad T43

Yeah, theres no way running a liveCD can damage your hardware..it might be POSSIBLE to say, overwrite some firmware or something close to hardware level, but the physical hardware should 1)be designed so as not to exceed its own capabilites (ie overheat) and 2) shut down if it does before any damage occours.

That being said, we get a few people now and then that come in to freegeek with "hardware" issues after they've install XP on a machine from us. We just about ALWAYS tell these people that XP could have damaged the hardware...even though its really much more likely that they are just missing a driver. I'm guessing the opposite is common among people who dont know enough about linux to support it. When all else fails, blame the operating system. In our casewe just dont want to deal with windows issues, or risk connecting a windows PC to our network, but its also true that none of the people i work with have used windows much in the past 5 years or more.

Board footer