You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 22:03:56

cptr13

New to Arch...a few questions

Hi all.  This is the first time I've finally managed to get Arch up and running on my laptop (Inspiron 1525), and I have questions. 

First, I'm still newish to compiling.  Generally what I've gotten in the habit of doing is extracting all the source files to a "Source" directory in my home directory.  I assume when I compile fom there, everything installs in there and the subfolders.  Is that ok?  Is there some standard place that I SHOULD be unpacking and compiling from?  I'm guessing it doesn't matter, but I'm concerned that maybe I may be creating issues later if programs aren't installing to the right directories because I'm compiling them from the wrong location.

Secondly...why on earth is knetworkmanager not packaged for Arch but kde 4.2 is?  Just curious because I spent an hour or so trying to compile it without results.  Thankfully I stumbled across wicd in these forums and that saved the day.

Thirdly, I'm almost positive I uninstalled all or part of ieee80122 while I was trying to get my wiireless up and running.  Is that going to create issues?  I was thinking that some of the errors I got when trying to compile knetworkmanager were related to ieee files, so maybe I caused that.  Any thoughts on that?  Is there a way to set the ieee80122 (or whatever, I can't remember exactly what it is) to the default settings?

Anyway, thanks for the help.  I'm going to have a ton of additional questions in the future I'm sure.  smile

#2 2009-03-27 22:13:19

daf666
Website

Re: New to Arch...a few questions

Regarding your first issue:
It doesnt really matter, if you are root, you can do this in /usr/src or /usr/local/src, if not you can in ~/src/
I actually have the habit of doin it in /tmp/

Last edited by daf666 (2009-03-27 22:14:45)

#3 2009-03-28 02:35:35

Ranguvar

Re: New to Arch...a few questions

Welcome!

1.) Do this wherever. The location you compile apps in should (I've never heard of it, and it seems freaky) have absolutely nothing to do with where they install. You also might want to look in the Arch wiki for the ABS, AUR, PKGBUILDs, makepkg, etc. to get a handle on Arch's awesome package system, particularly how they're built, it looks like it'd interest you smile

2.) Oh, but it is packaged! It's not in the main repos, but there are several different versions of it in the AUR: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go
It's likely not in the official repos because it is an addon KDE app made by the community, it's technically not part of KDE itself, and it hasn't accumulated enough votes in the AUR to be put in the community repo.

3.) Run 'pacman -Qo' on one of the files you think you deleted (yes, use the same path, even though the file may be gone now) to see what package owns it, and then 'pacman -S' that package again. This might help?

Enjoy your new Arch big_smile

Board footer