You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-28 01:30:41

B-Con
Website

Re-create audio devices

Sometimes sound stops working on my desktop, and I'm fairly certain that it's usually, if not always, correlated with usage of Flash. Regardless of the source of the problem, what would the easiest catch-all solution be to restore audio? Rebooting is an annoying last resort.

I would assume the simplest thing would be to destroy and re-create the existing sound devices (which would be simple to do in a script). What steps are required to do so? Is it as simple as reloading the appropriate modules?

#2 2009-03-28 02:28:19

Ranguvar

Re: Re-create audio devices

Hmm. Did you try /etc/rc.d/oss restart or /etc/rc.d/alsa restart?

#3 2009-03-28 02:31:37

MarCustomized

Yes, reloading the modules is the simplest and probably the only solution outside of rebooting.  I've been meaning to write a script to do this, but I'm super lazy.  If you write one, please share. tongue

#4 2009-03-28 12:14:21

test1000

I think it was lsof(fuser probably works aswell) /dev/audio/* that used to work fine to identify processes hogging the audio device(then you could just kill those), but with the .29 kernel/new alsa drivers, i don't know, it doesn't seem to contain the same devices so i don't know.

Either way, the "audio disappears" problem stopped occuring to me a couple of months ago with some update, might have been a flashplugin update.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2009-03-28 13:48:42

wsduvall
Website

Usually, I just quit firefox and my sound is restored (if Flash is indeed the culprit). I feel like there should be a way to fix Flash so it doesn't eat your sound. Anybody know of any way?

Last edited by wsduvall (2009-03-28 13:49:18)

My 5 node 9 CPU cluster: www.amenrecluster.com
Machines:Fujitsu T4210 and IBM eServer xSeries 335

#6 2009-03-30 04:57:21

B-Con
Website

The other sound-related problem that's not Flash-related is that occasionally Skype complains that the sound device cannot be "initialized", or something like that, and refuses to make or accept calls. Rebooting is my current solution, but I'm going to look into re-loading all sound modules the next time I get the error.

MarCustomized wrote:

Yes, reloading the modules is the simplest and probably the only solution outside of rebooting.  I've been meaning to write a script to do this, but I'm super lazy.  If you write one, please share. tongue

Thanks for the confirmation.

#7 2009-03-30 12:29:20

test1000

i'm not sure anything can really be a confirmation if conflicting information is also propagated. democrazy != truth

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#8 2009-03-30 18:55:03

B-Con
Website

test1000 wrote:

i'm not sure anything can really be a confirmation if conflicting information is also propagated. democrazy != truth

Hm? I don't follow.

I asked a question (how to recreate audio devices), proposed what I believe to be a sufficient solution (reload all sound modules), and MarCustomized said that he also believed it to be a sufficient solution. There have been no descenting opinions thus far in the thread, merely related conversation. I thanked him for "confirming" (ie, voting for) my solution. Given his agreement of it and the lack of disagreement, I feel more confident in my answer.

I didn't say that votes dictate truth, I just thanked MarC. for the nod of agreement to my solution. But perhaps it could have been phrased a bit better. And, as always, argumentation is welcome.

#9 2009-03-31 01:18:55

test1000

test1000 wrote:

I think it was lsof(fuser probably works aswell) /dev/audio/* that used to work fine to identify processes hogging the audio device(then you could just kill those), but with the .29 kernel/new alsa drivers, i don't know, it doesn't seem to contain the same devices so i don't know.

Either way, the "audio disappears" problem stopped occuring to me a couple of months ago with some update, might have been a flashplugin update.

B-Con wrote:
MarCustomized wrote:

No dissenting opinion?

#10 2009-03-31 22:04:23

B-Con
Website

test1000 wrote:
test1000 wrote:

B-Con wrote:
MarCustomized wrote:

No dissenting opinion?

You didn't say anything about re-creating sound devices. I took that as an alternative solution to the bigger problem, not an objection to the specific solution.

Board footer