You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-18 00:44:51

dcbdbis

XFCE4 and Shared Library Issue

Hello All,

The recent KDE/Xorg issue has me expanding my horizons beyond KDE.

Today I downloaded every WM to a test machine at work and checked them all out.. I must say... I'm impressed.

I have settled on xfce4 as the new WM of choice for me...

But on my home system there is an issue, xfce4 is complaining that the shared libraries don't exist. One of them (amongst a bunch) is libxfcegui4.so.1.

An "updatedb" and then "locate" shows them where they belong... and symlinks for them too.

The same package worked perfectly on two other systems today (my work test machine and a friend in NY)... so it's something specific to my home system.

Can anyone offer suggestions or a solution please?

Thanks!

Dave Babb

#2 2004-09-18 01:21:33

IceRAM
Website

Re: XFCE4 and Shared Library Issue

Make sure "/opt/xfce4/lib" is in /etc/ld.so.conf
Run "ldconfig" after you add it.

HTH

Personal opinion as a KDE user who experienced XFCE4:
I've used XFCE for a while (when I didn't have much RAM in my computer) but I found some of the features I used missing. I have a small screen (1024x768 - I personally find it small) and I run most of my apps in full screen. I don't remember seeing XFCE reserve a desktop area for the window drawing that wouldn't cover the panel. I want to always see that panel. Same goes for FluxBox. Then again, there might have been some options... which I've missed.
Overall, XFCE is pretty good as a light Desktop Environment, but I still need a few options here and there. I would use it for a memory impared computer. One more thing: XFCE is in current, compared to the other DEs.
I do like to check from time to time the other DEs. I want to know if something seems more appealing...

Let us know what you think about it after some time.
Good luck.

IceRAM

#3 2004-09-18 01:28:03

dcbdbis

Re: XFCE4 and Shared Library Issue

That took care of the issue. If I would have opened my eyes a tad, I would have seen ld.so.conf.pacnew.......

I'm up and running........

Thank you!

Dave..............

Board footer